Serve up a taste of summer!
Nothing offers up a taste of summer quite like grilled salmon, zesty lime juice, and a gorgeously ripe avocado. When the temperatures rise in your part of the world, heat up your grill and get ready for a perfect blend of warm weather flavors. For those of you in colder climates, you can substitute a grill for a grill pan on the stovetop. Though, some of us have known a hearty New Englander or two to put on a fleece and a scarf, and get grilling even in the chillier of temps!
We use wild salmon in our salmon dishes. If you can choose wild salmon over farm-raised varieties, you’ll be delighted that you did. Wild salmon feasts on naturally occurring foods, which lend it its spectacular flavor and high omega-3 content. Farm-raised salmon is often fed pellets and antibiotics, neither or which is great for your taste buds or your health, not to mention our planet’s ecosystems!
This grilled salmon is cooked to perfection, its flavors enhanced by black pepper, honey, dijon mustard, and lime. This combination creates a sweet and tart masterpiece. The avocado salad is a perfect complement, balancing creamy avocado with crunchy celery and tangy tomatoes. These flavors pair perfectly with the salmon’s scrumptious sauce.
Easy to prepare, but still upscale in its presentation, this is a perfect dish to serve to friends and family. But since it comes together so quickly, feel free to enjoy it on a weeknight as well!
Black Pepper Salmon with Avocado Salad
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice (about 1/2 lime or lemon)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper coarsely ground
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 salmon fillets wild salmon preferred, skin on (4-5 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado medium peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2/3 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare your grill by oiling the grates to coat (brush on the oil with a paper towel and tongs). Preheat the grill, grill pan, griddle or skillet to medium-high.
- Whisk together the sauce.
- Rub the salmon with salt and pepper. Place the salmon skin-side up (flesh side down) on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes until there are grill marks on the salmon.
- Flip, and brush the tops with the sauce, cooking for an additional 5 minutes, and brushing with the sauce 3-4 times while salmon is grilling.
- Meanwhile, toss the carefully toss the salad ingredients all together in a bowl.
- Serve salmon accompanied by the salad.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.