Sweet, juicy blueberries are at the top of just about every list of superfoods. We already know about the antioxidants provided by these delicious berries, but there is also evidence they might help with memory functioning, lower the risks of certain cancers, and prevent heart disease. Our blueberry lemon scones feature two healthy fruits and are one of the healthiest indulgences you will ever eat!
Scones are delicious on their own or paired with our healthier coffee recipe. They are great year-round, especially during blueberry season, but scones are an especially tasty way to warm a cold winter morning. We suggest you freeze some fresh blueberries in season, so they are available when you get a craving for these scones.
Looking for other healthy breakfast recipes? We can help. Check out our spin on French toast here!
Starbucks Blueberry Scone = 460 calories Skinny Ms.'s Blueberry Lemon Scone = 239 calories
Yields: 10 servings | Serving size: 1 scone | Calories: 239 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 36 mg |Sodium: 132 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, (Argo brand is gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 5 tablespoons solid coconut oil, (optional pure, unsalted butter)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing over scones
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, (optional, frozen blueberries, thawed)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey, (optional coconut palm sugar)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using a fork, cut in coconut oil or butter, until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gently fold in blueberries. Make a well in the center of the flour and add buttermilk. Fold together with flour and blueberries, just until combined or until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a working surface, lightly dusted with flour. Use hands to shape dough into 1” thickness. Use a biscuit cutter, dip in flour, and cut dough into 10 biscuit shapes or cut with a knife into rectangle shapes, place on parchment lined cookie sheet or (nonstick cookie sheet). Brush scones with buttermilk. Bake until golden, about 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before adding glaze.
- While scones are baking: Combine cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly stir in lemon juice and honey, stir until smooth. Add lemon zest and cook over medium heat until thick and glossy. Cool slightly and drizzle over warm scones. Enjoy warm!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.