There's no need to go to Starbucks to get a scone anymore. Make this healthy scone recipe and you'll understand why!
Sweet, juicy blueberries are at the top of just about every list of superfoods. We already know about the antioxidants provided by these delicious berries, but there is also evidence they might help with memory functioning, lower the risks of certain cancers, and prevent heart disease. Our blueberry lemon scones feature two healthy fruits and are one of the healthiest indulgences you will ever eat!
Scones are delicious on their own or paired with our healthier coffee recipe. They are great year-round, especially during blueberry season, but scones are an especially tasty way to warm a cold winter morning. We suggest you freeze some fresh blueberries in season, so they are available when you get a craving for these scones.
Looking for other healthy breakfast recipes? We can help. Check out our spin on French toast here!
Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Argo brand is gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil solid, optional: pure, unsalted butter
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk extra tablespoon is for brushing over scones
- 1 cup fresh blueberries optional: frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup honey optional: coconut palm sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using a fork, cut in coconut oil or butter, until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gently fold in blueberries. Make a well in the center of the flour and add buttermilk. Fold together with flour and blueberries, just until combined or until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a working surface, lightly dusted with flour. Use hands to shape dough into 1-inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter, dip in flour, and cut dough into 10 biscuit shapes or cut with a knife into rectangle shapes, place on the parchment-lined cookie sheet or (nonstick cookie sheet). Brush scones with buttermilk. Bake until golden, about 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before adding the glaze.
- While scones are baking: Combine cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly stir in lemon juice and honey, stir until smooth. Add lemon zest and cook over medium heat until thick and glossy. Cool slightly and drizzle over warm scones. Enjoy warm!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.