This creamy vegan soup uses walnuts in place of cream to create a delectable, nutritious soup recipe designed to cleanse, nourish, and rebuild your body. This easy recipe comes together quickly and combines a variety of healing foods that are fantastic for detoxing. Broccoli, zucchini, white onion, garlic, lemon, walnuts, basil, and vegetable broth come together for a rich and luscious soup that is deeply comforting and cleansing. This Broccoli Basil Cream Soup is perfect when you’re looking for healthy soups that taste great, too!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1-3/4 cups | Calories: 329 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 532 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints (Freetyle): 11
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 cup diced organic zucchini squash (leave skin on)
- Unrefined sea salt-to taste
- 4 cups steamed organic broccoli florets
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- Fresh ground black pepper-to taste
- ⅓ cup raw walnuts (soak for 3 hours in filtered water, rinsed well, and drained)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup broccoli sprouts-optional but are potent detoxifiers
- Place olive oil or coconut oil in a medium-size pot with a lid and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add diced onions and cubed zucchini and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Cook zucchini and onions until tender, around 7-8 minutes.
- Placed cooked vegetables into a high speed blender with steamed broccoli, ½ cup vegetable broth, grated garlic, black pepper to taste, and drained walnuts. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour vegetable-walnut mixture into the pot you cooked the zucchini in and add remaining vegetable broth and sea salt to taste. Stir to blend together and cover pot with lid.
- Cook Broccoli Basil Cream Soup over low heat until hot but not boiling. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed and pour into serving bowl. Sprinkle hot soup with fresh basil leaves, lemon juice, and broccoli sprouts if you decide to use them.
- Place leftover soup into a heatproof container with a lid and cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator. Reheat remaining soup over low heat for dinner meal.
Do you have a favorite healthy soup recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!