Comfort food that won't weigh you down!
Looking for comfort food that won’t weight you down? Diets and clean-eating plans usually take lasagna right off the list, since it’s so loaded with fats and calories. Luckily, our Broccoli Rabe and Turkey Sausage Lasagna is a light and sophisticated version of your favorite comfort food! We’ve used homemade lean turkey sausage, whole wheat lasagna noodles, part-skim and low-fat cheeses, egg whites, and no-sugar-added marinara sauce to keep it skinny. We also added a ton of broccoli rabe, spinach, and other vegetables to amp up the nutrient profile. Plus, plenty of herbs and spices add even more delicious lasagna flavor.
While this process for making lasagna from scratch involves a little more effort than some of our recipes, the end result is so worth it. It’s great for a crowd, but you can also make it ahead of time to keep in the freezer for future lunches and dinners.
Broccoli Rabe and Turkey Sausage Lasagna
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 24 ounces marinara sauce jar, no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion small, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced small
- 6 cups broccoli rabe chopped, stems removed
- 2 cups baby spinach finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese low-fat, grated
- 1 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded
- 1 pound whole-wheat lasagna noodles cooked
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Form into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch casserole pan with non-stick spray.
- Remove mixed turkey sausage and cook in a medium skillet until no pink remains. Add the marinara and heat through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the hot oil and cook until onions and mushrooms are soft. Combine the broccoli rabe and spinach and add to the onions. Cook until wilted. Remove from heat and drain out any excess liquid. Set aside.
- Combine egg, cottage cheese, Parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella. Mix well. Add broccoli rabe mix to the cheese and fold in until distributed throughout.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara and turkey sausage mix on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Lay three to four noodles on top of the sauce, to cover the sauce with as much noodle as possible. Top noodles with 1/2 cup cheese and broccoli rabe mix, followed by more noodles and top with the marinara. Continue until no ingredients remain. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with foil lightly sprayed with nonstick spray and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Allow to set for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Other recipes to try:
What did you think of this recipe? Your feedback is valuable! Let us know in the comments section!