It’s difficult at times to come up with healthy vegetable side dishes that both taste good and tempt pickier eaters to give them a try. This Brussels Sprouts Gratin is one such dish that will have even the pickiest of eaters clamoring for more. This recipe features roasted Brussels sprouts topped with a creamy cheese sauce and Parmesan cheese, then baked again until the cheese is bubbling and melty. Because it’s SkinnyMs., we’ve used white whole wheat flour and skim milk and cheeses to lighten it up.
These Brussels sprouts are the perfect dinner party accompaniment. They’re also great as a side dish on a night when you need a healthy and delicious vegetable option. Try them along with our Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken Breasts for a cheesy meal even the pickiest of eaters won’t be able to resist!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 171 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 493mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 8g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup skim shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup skim shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place into a baking dish, then put in oven for 30 minutes, taking out once to move around the sprouts.
- Meanwhile, heat butter on stove on low heat. When it is completely melted, add flour and whisk together until the mixture forms a ball and just begins to brown.Add the milk and whisk constantly. When the mixture begins to thicken, add the cheddar cheese and whisk until melted. Pour this over the Brussels sprouts, then sprinkle the parmesan on top. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
Other recipes to enjoy:
What’s your favorite way to cook Brussels sprouts? How did they taste in this gratin? Let us know in the comments section below, and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!