A luxurious, silky smooth soup exploding with melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
We love the soothing comfort of savory soup, and nothing beats curling up to a cozy bowl of this Butternut Pear Soup. Although you might associate butternut squash with autumn months, this irresistible soup suits any season of the year. The addition of crisp pear makes this soup especially unique by adding a luscious hint of sweetness that will make your taste buds happy.
This belly-warming fall classic is a snap to whip up, and it only takes five minutes of prep time. Not to mention that this recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and exploding with health benefits. All in all, you really can’t go wrong with a flavorful bowl of this healthy creamy Butternut Pear Soup.
How to Make Creamy Butternut Pear Soup
Although it might seem like there are a lot of steps, this irresistibly rich and savory butternut pear soup is surprisingly easy to follow. Simply heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Next, sauté a shallot until it’s translucent and stir in your diced butternut squash and cubed pears.
Afterward, you’ll add the spices and eventually pour in the vegetable broth, bringing the soup to a boil. Finally, cover the pot and cook for 20 to 25 minutes before removing the pot from the heat. The last step involves blending the contents in a food processor until they’re silky smooth.
A Soup That’s Bursting with Nutrients
First, knowing that your soup is chock full of nutritious goodness only enhances the eating experience. Butternut squash might contain more carbs than most vegetables. However, the starchy, cold-weather superfood delivers more than 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin A.
Meanwhile, the squash serves as a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins. The immune-boosting veggie gets its sunset-orange hue from carotenoids, or plant pigments. Research claims that these pigments help regulate your body’s cell growth, eye and bone health, and immune function.
The antioxidants in this brightly-colored beauty may help prevent or slow cellular damage, reduce inflammation, and even decrease disease risk. We can’t get enough of this squash, thanks to its amazing flavor and super impressive nutritional resume.
Hungry for more? Check out these healthy recipes featuring the buttery vegetable:
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Spiced Pecans
- Twice Baked Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Black Bean Quesadillas
- Creamy Mac & Cheese Butternut Squash
Don’t Forget About the Pears
Meanwhile, roasted pears act as delectable partner-in-crime to butternut squash in this soothing soup. They add a touch of sweetness that gives this soup something seriously special. Nothing beats the candy-sweet aroma of roasted pears! When the nutritious fruit meets the oven, the heat caramelizes its natural sugars. The result? A savory, sweet, and juicy flavor that tastes downright irresistible.
Pears pack in health benefits as well. Roasted pears contain phytonutrients that reduce inflammation and help fight disease. Meanwhile, its dietary fiber helps you feel full and promotes great digestive health.
How to Serve Butternut Pear Soup
Serve this irresistible soup as a first course with a colorful salad or warm, crusty bread. For example, this Spinach, Lentil, and Beet Salad would make a gorgeous companion to our butternut soup recipe. Likewise, this nutritious, easy-to-make Wheat Bread Recipe tastes heavenly when dipped into our creamy soup.
Moreover, our butternut pear soup makes a wonderfully light, yet filling lunch! Although it’s satisfying by itself, you can’t go wrong by enjoying the soup alongside a scrumptious sandwich. For a family-friendly hit worth drooling over, serve along with this Clean Eating Grilled Cheese. This deliciously killer team will become a regular in your household. Mmm-mmm good!
To make the soup look like the photos, pick up some plant-based yogurt at the store. You can also make a plant-based sour cream using tofu, if you prefer.
Creamy Butternut Pear Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each shallot medium, peeled and diced fine
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium asian or bosch pears peeled, cored and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves dried
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and heat for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium. Add shallot and saute for another 1-2 minutes, until translucent, taking care not to burn.
- Add diced butternut squash and pear to the pot and stir to combine.
- Stir in garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme. Saute until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are softened enough to mash with a fork.
- Remove from heat. Blend with an immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms