You'll never go back to boring old quesadillas again!
While a squash quesadilla might sound odd, just trust us. With this recipe, Butternut Squash and Black Bean Quesadillas will make you a believer! Not only are these quesadillas high in protein, but they’re also rich in nutrients and bursting with flavor. These quesadillas are layered with black beans, onions, cheese, and a flavorful blend of butternut squash, cilantro, lime, and cayenne pepper. A whole wheat tortilla keeps this recipe nice and skinny, so it’s even more guilt-free.
Once you’ve tried these, you’ll never go back to boring old quesadillas again! They are great for a light lunch or snack, or even as a part of a hearty dinner when paired with our Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 5 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 12 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash mashed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese low-fat, shredded
- 4 whole-wheat flour tortillas
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until they just begin to brown. Add the black beans and sauté just long enough that the black beans are warm. Put mixture aside in a bowl. Combine the butternut squash, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Layer 1/4 of the bean and onion mixture on half a tortilla, cover with 1/4 of the butternut squash mixture and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a pan (feel free to use the same one that you cooked the onion in) and set heat to medium-high. Fold over the tortilla and add to the pan. Cook it for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, until the tortilla is browned and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Repeat with the other three tortillas, and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Other quesadilla recipes you might like:
What is your favorite way to make quesadillas? Have any recommendations? Comment below and let us know!