Enjoy a refreshing granita any way you like!
With the arrival of summer come some of our favorite, refreshing treats. The Sicilian granita is an especially guilt-free indulgence, containing only fresh fruit, ice, and a sweetener (we prefer a natural alternative to sugar)!
Granitas are most commonly enjoyed for breakfast in Sicily, using lemon, coffee, mulberry, and almond. But you can enjoy them any time of day, and you can also feel free to choose from a variety of fruit flavors! Our recipe uses cantaloupes, a popular and refreshing summer fruit.
Cantaloupes are very nutritious fruits that act as a natural diuretic. They contain high levels of potassium, which helps lower high blood pressure. Not only that, there is also evidence in recent studies that they help lower the risk of cancer.
- 1 pound cantaloupe pulp chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 1/2 ounces natural sweetener such as stevia
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- To make the syrup, bring the water and sweetener to a boil over medium heat, then simmer it for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Put the cantaloupe in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix the syrup and the melon until well combined. Add the lemon juice. You can adjust the taste according to your taste. Remember that when it freezes, it will lose a fraction of its taste so make the cantaloupe mixture a bit strong.
- When the cantaloupe mixture cools down, transfer it to an ice cream maker and follow the instructions of your machine.
- If you are not using an ice cream machine, transfer the mixture to a plastic or metal container with a cover and place it in the freezer. Take it out every half an hour to mix it until it arrives to the perfect consistency of a granita.
- If the granita hardens too much, break it into medium to big pieces and transfer it to a mixer to break it apart.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More refreshing recipes for the warm months ahead:
Don’t miss out on the latest recipes, clean eating and healthy living tips from Skinny Ms. by subscribing to our newsletter. You can also follow us in our Facebook and Pinterest pages and be always up to date with what’s happening at Skinny Ms.
If you liked the recipe, drop us a line at the comments section below.