This powerhouse Carrot Apple Ginger Soup is nutrient-dense and a great choice for assisting your body with clearing out toxins and waste. Vibrant carrots, apple, white onion, celery, ginger, cinnamon, and vegetable broth are slowly simmered over low heat until tender, and then they’re puréed, which creates one of the greatest creamy nutritious soup recipes that is also vegan! When your looking for recipes for healthy soups, this one is a keeper. It tastes sumptuous without the addition of heavy cream or butter.
**This perfect fall soup recipe has been brought to us by Shelley Alexander! Shelly is a holistic chef; certified healing foods specialist; author of Deliciously Holistic; blogger; and owner of the holistic health company, A Harmony Healing in California. Shelley loves to eat and cook with amazing superfoods, and seasonal, locally grown, organic foods from the local farmers’ markets. Shelley is a member of Slow Foods USA, Village Green Network, and Women of the Green Generation.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1-3/4 cups | Calories: 239 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 532 mg | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 1 chopped organic celery stalk
- Unrefined sea salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ pounds organic carrots- cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 large organic red delicious or Fuji apple-cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth or stock
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Place coconut oil in a medium size pot and heat over medium heat until melted and hot. Add chopped white onion, chopped celery, and sea salt to taste. Cook over medium heat until tender around 4-5 minutes.
- Add grated ginger, cinnamon, carrot rounds, apple cubes, vegetable broth, and fresh ground black pepper to the pot. Cook soup over medium heat stirring occasionally until carrots and apple cubes are tender, around 30-40 minutes.
- Scoop cooked vegetables and apple from the soup into a high speed blender and add coconut milk. Put top on the blender and hold top down with a towel or pot holder while you blend the hot vegetables/fruit to prevent the blender top from popping off. Blend vegetables and fruit until smooth and pour back into soup pot. If you have an immersion blender, you can just blend all the ingredients in the pot.
- Stir soup until well combined and heat on low heat until hot but not boiling. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Stir in fresh lemon juice right before serving. Pour into soup bowl and enjoy hot.
- Pour remaining soup into a heatproof container and cool slightly. Cover soup with a lid before placing in the refrigerator. Reheat soup for the dinner meal over medium-low heat.
What’s your favorite soup recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!