Sometimes the craving for a heaping plate of cheesy nacho goodness can be overwhelming. Not only are they yummy, but they’re also the perfect snack food to share with a group of friends with a nice adult beverage in hand. If you’re following a healthy lifestyle, however, nachos may not even be on your radar. Thanks to our Cauliflower Nachos recipe, you can once again enjoy them without the guilt that a regular nacho splurge would bring! We’ve made a crunchy base using cauliflower, so you won’t even miss those crunchy chips.
Best of all, these cauliflower nachos are completely customizable! Add your favorite salsa, guacamole, low-fat sour cream, ground beef, or even chicken. The choices are limitless!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 228 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 397mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 15g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced small
- 1/2 cup Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove core from cauliflower and cut into small florets. Place into a food processor and finely chop until cauliflower resembles rice.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, combine cauliflower "rice" and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until cauliflower is soft. If needed, add more water, drain off any excess water once cauliflower is cooked. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When cool to the touch, pour cooked cauliflower into a thin kitchen towel or cheese cloth. Squeeze out excess water (as much as possible) and return to bowl. Add egg whites, 1 cup cheese, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Mix well. If the mix seems wet, add a tablespoon of almond or coconut flower.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cauliflower mix on top of parchment, shaping into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add remaining cheese on top of crust. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Top with remaining ingredients. Cut and enjoy!
- Optional: Add your favorite salsa, guacamole, low fat sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt. Substitute any of your favorite nacho toppings!
What are your favorite nacho toppings? Tell us in the comments section!