This is a dish your whole family will dig into and enjoy.
Casseroles are one of the most underrated dishes, but they’re so versatile and wonderful. Casserole recipes are great for using any extra vegetables, grains, or meats you may have lying around. You can also include all of the basic food groups. And of course, you’ll save time and effort, and you’ll have easy leftovers to reheat and enjoy later. Our Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Wild Rice Casserole is our healthy take on a traditional casserole favorite. Surely your family had their own version of this dish that they rotated in for dinner from time to time! Our version uses a combination of low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and skim milk, so it has that creamy texture. We’ve also used both brown and wild rices instead of only white rice, and topped it all off with low-fat shredded cheddar because, as we all know, it needs the cheese!
This is a dish your whole family will dig into and enjoy. If you have any leftovers, you can reheat them the next day for a quick lunch. You can also stick this casserole in the freezer for a quick, delicious meal down the road.
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup wild rice cooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat half the oil in skillet on medium heat. Cook chicken in hot oil until no pink remains, drain any excess liquid. Add remaining oil, onion, and broccoli. Cook until onion is soft. Mix in both brown and wild rice, garlic powder, sage, thyme, and salt.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, Mix well and combine with chicken mix. Pour into a prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar. Bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until bubbly and cheese on top is melted.
- Set for 5 minutes before serving. Spoon into serving bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What’s your favorite casserole dish? Share your ideas with us in the comments!