Casseroles are one of the most underrated dishes, but they’re so versatile and wonderful. Casserole recipes are great for using any extra vegetables, grains, or meats you may have lying around. You can also include all of the basic food groups. And of course, you’ll save time and effort, and you’ll have easy leftovers to reheat and enjoy later. Our Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Wild Rice Casserole is our healthy take on a traditional casserole favorite. Surely your family had their own version of this dish that they rotated in for dinner from time to time! Our version uses a combination of low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and skim milk, so it has that creamy texture. We’ve also used both brown and wild rices instead of only white rice, and topped it all off with low-fat shredded cheddar because, as we all know, it needs the cheese!
This is a dish your whole family will dig into and enjoy. If you have any leftovers, you can reheat them the next day for a quick lunch. You can also stick this casserole in the freezer for a quick, delicious meal down the road.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 423 | Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 608mg | Carbohydrates: 27g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 40g | SmartPoints: 12
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat half the oil in skillet on medium heat. Cook chicken in hot oil until no pink remains, drain any excess liquid. Add remaining oil, onion, and broccoli. Cook until onion is soft. Mix in both brown and wild rice, garlic powder, sage, thyme, and salt.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, yogurt, milk and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, Mix well and combine with chicken mix. Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar. Bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until bubbly and cheese on top is melted.
- Set for 5 minutes before serving. Spoon into serving bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy.
What’s your favorite casserole dish? Share your ideas with us in the comments!