Who says all casseroles need rice? By swapping rice with quinoa, we’ve given this recipe a major nutritional boost without sacrificing the nutty rice texture your taste buds love. This Cheesy Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole dish will satisfy the whole household!
The savory dish packs a double-punch of creamy and cheesy, thanks to the cheddar and non-fat sour cream. Satisfying and healthy, the meatless casserole calls for 100% clean ingredients like black beans, cilantro, salsa, and savory spices like paprika and chili powder. Simply toss ingredients together, top with cheese, and pop in the oven for a warm, bubbly meal your family will love.
Yiels: 8 servings | Calories: 238 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 616mg | Carbohydrates: 28g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded (reduced fat) cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, no-sugar added
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, optional sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for serving
- Add quinoa to 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss quinoa with beans, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Spread 1/2 across the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Top with an even layer of salsa, then a layer of cheddar. Repeat layering, ending with cheese on top.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with cilantro and sour cream or Greek yogurt for topping.
Love the recipe? Have your own to share? Leave a comment below. We love hearing from our readers!