Toast is the most versatile breakfast food–you can top it with absolutely anything! We love protein-packed breakfasts, so we love to top our toast with black beans and eggs. This hearty breakfast will give you the energy you need to get through your morning. It’s also great post-workout, since it’s a good source of protein and complex carbs. Healthy breakfasts are great, but they’re even better when they’re also tasty–that’s where the salsa and cilantro come in. They give you the zest and flavor that make you excited to get our of bed in the morning.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 toast with egg | Calories: 211 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 340mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of whole grain bread, (optional 2 slices per serving)
- 1/4 cup no-sugar added salsa
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a small bowl combine the black beans, lime juice, and salt. Mash the beans until smooth with a few chunks. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Once hot, carefully crack the eggs into the pan. Cook the eggs until the egg whites are set and then carefully flip the egg. Continue to cook for about 1 minute. The yolk will be runny, if a more hard yolk is desired, cook for a longer period of time after flipping. Or, break the yolk right after the egg has been cracked into the pan.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread to desired done-ness. Spread each slice with mash black beans and top with a tablespoon of salsa. After the eggs are cooked, carefully place the egg on top and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy!