Casseroles are easy, quick, and freezer-friendly, which makes them great meals for busy weeknights. This chicken cordon bleu casserole is no exception. It only bakes for 30 minutes, and you can store the leftovers in the freezer for extra-fast dinners later on. It’s also as tasty as it is easy. The ricotta, Swiss, and blue cheese combo is unbeatable. The cheese browns in the oven, which adds an extra burst of flavor. The kids will love it, too, since it’s creamy, meaty, and hearty. It will quickly become a family favorite.
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 450 | Total Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 782mg | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 34g | SmartPoints: 13
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups fat-free swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fat-free blue cheese crumbles
- 4 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked
- 4 cups diced or shredded chicken breast, cooked (leftovers work great!)
- 1 cup nitrate free ham, cooked and diced small
- 1/2 cup turkey bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, heat the olive oil. Once hot add the onion and garlic. Cook just until the onion begins to soften. Add the flour and stir constantly until the flour has absorbed all the oil and has begun to lightly brown. Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Whisk quickly and constantly until no lumps of flour remain. Stir in the salt, pepper, and ricotta cheese and continue to stir. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir constantly until sauce has thickened.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the Swiss cheese, blue cheese, macaroni, chicken, ham, and bacon. Toss to combine. Pour the sauce into the mixture and stir until all ingredients are coated in the sauce. Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining Swiss cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes until cheese is melted, bubbly, and brown on top! Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with parsley. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
For more homey recipes, check out 10 Comfort Food Recipes That Won’t Ruin Your Diet!