A hearty twist on a classic dish.
Casseroles are easy, quick, and freezer-friendly, which makes them great meals for busy weeknights. This chicken cordon bleu casserole is no exception. It only bakes for 30 minutes, and you can store the leftovers in the freezer for extra-fast dinners later on. It’s also as tasty as it is easy. The ricotta, Swiss, and blue cheese combo is unbeatable. The cheese browns in the oven, which adds an extra burst of flavor. The kids will love it, too, since it’s creamy, meaty, and hearty. It will quickly become a family favorite.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese fat-free
- 2 cups swiss cheese fat-free, shredded
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles fat-free
- 4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni cooked
- 4 cups chicken cooked (leftovers work great!), diced or shredded
- 1 cup ham nitrate free, cooked and diced small
- 1/2 cup turkey bacon cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepot, heat the olive oil. Once hot add the onion and garlic. Cook just until the onion begins to soften. Add the flour and stir constantly until the flour has absorbed all the oil and has begun to lightly brown. Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Whisk quickly and constantly until no lumps of flour remain. Stir in the salt, pepper, and ricotta cheese and continue to stir. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir constantly until sauce has thickened.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the Swiss cheese, blue cheese, macaroni, chicken, ham, and bacon. Toss to combine. Pour the sauce into the mixture and stir until all ingredients are coated in the sauce.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining Swiss cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes until cheese is melted, bubbly, and brown on top!
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with parsley. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more homey recipes, check out 10 Comfort Food Recipes That Won’t Ruin Your Diet!