Casseroles are easy meals, but they can get boring. This Hawaiian chicken casserole is a new take on an old favorite. It’s just as simple and quick as your typical casserole recipes, but it’s way more exciting. Its tangy sauce is made with honey, soy sauce, pineapple sauce, onion, and bell peppers. It’s sweet and savory, and bursting with flavor. We also love this casserole for its health benefits. Chicken breasts are an excellent source of lean protein, and whole-wheat breadcrumbs are packed with fiber and B vitamins. Healthiness and tastiness: it’s a win-win!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 423 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 955mg | Carbohydrates: 45g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 25g | Protein: 48g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup no-sugar added pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced large
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced large
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced large
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced large
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Dip the chicken cubes in the flour, followed by the eggs, and lastly dip the chicken into the Panko crumbs. Shake of any access and ensure all sides are coated. Place chicken in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, turning half way through cooking, Chicken is done when crispy on the outside. The chicken may not be cooked through - it will finish cooking in the next step!
- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce, corn starch and garlic. Whisk together well.
- In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, green pepper, red onion, pineapple, and chicken. Pour the sauce over the top and toss to coat all ingredients.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325. Coat a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour the sauce covered chicken and vegetables into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 5 - 6 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top. Enjoy!