Craving Mexican but don’t want to waste a perfect soup night? This chicken enchilada slow cooker soup is the best of both worlds. It’s both Mexican for soup lovers and soup for Mexican lovers!
Let’s face it, once the holidays wrap up, winter doesn’t have a ton of great selling points.
Sure, there’s hot chocolate and the occasional snow day. But how many cups of hot chocolate can one person drink, really? And once you’re no longer in school, “snow days” are more of a curse than a blessing. Either you drive to work in inclement weather or stay home and fall behind. Or, worse yet, stay home and babysit your own children on their snow day.
Anyway, winter can be a pain. But I find myself looking forward to it every year for one big reason: soup season. Not only is soup warm and delicious, but it can also be one of the easiest dinners to make. Add a Crock-Pot (like in this slow cooker recipe, for example) and it may just be the easiest.
In my opinion, there are few things better than ending a cold winter day with a bowl of hot soup. One thing that might be better? Coming home to that soup already made. With this chicken enchilada slow cooker soup recipe, you can come home to dinner just minutes away from serving.
Chicken enchilada soup recipe has always been a favorite of mine. It was actually the first meal I asked my mom to make the first time I came home from college. And no wonder why. It’s a rich, flavorful twist on classic homemade comfort food.
This soup is loaded with healthy ingredients for a full, hearty meal that will fill you up without weighing you down. Meanwhile, this slow cooker version not only makes for an easier recipe, but also a more flavorful soup. In a slow cooker, all the ingredients have time to really soak up the bold, Mexican-inspired flavors.
Loaded with veggies and protein, this chicken enchilada slow cooker soup uses healthy, clean ingredients. This easy recipe uses simple ingredients you could buy at any grocery store, but keeps things healthy with low-sodium and no-sugar added versions of canned and packaged ingredients.
To get that creamy texture we all crave in a winter soup, this recipe uses Greek yogurt and low-fat cheddar cheese. Mixed into the soup at the end, these ingredients make this soup rich and creamy without all the fat from heavy cream.
Sure this soup is healthy, easy, and delicious. But my absolute favorite part of this recipe? It is so easy to dress up. Serve this soup with a dollop of low-fat sour cream, sliced avocado, a sprinkle of low-fat cheese, or whole-grain tortilla strips.
Of course, if you prefer, this soup is just as delicious all on its own. So if you need some new recipes to mix things up this winter, be sure to try this chicken enchilada slow cooker soup. Happy soup season!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 283 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 821mg | Carbohydrates: 23g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints: 8
- 2 (6 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (10 ounce) can no-sugar added red enchilada sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-sugar added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients except for the yogurt and cheddar cheese. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 30 more minutes. Stir in the yogurt and cheese until melted and creamy. Serve hot.
You might also like some of these other Slow Cooker Soup Recipes.