Turn taco Tuesday into tostada Tuesday.
Easy, quick, healthy, and delicious. What more can you ask for in a meal? We instantly fell in love with these chipotle chicken tostadas, and you will too! With healthier ingredients and cleaner cooking methods, this family-friendly meal is sure to keep you on track to your health goals. Plus, it tastes absolutely amazing, making it the perfect option for satisfying your Mexican food cravings.
So Much to Love About the Tostada!
Don’t get me wrong, I love tacos. But if I had known about tostadas sooner, I would have been making all of my taco recipes with them instead! A tostada is essentially an open-faced taco, except it doesn’t form into that taco shape — it stays flat. That’s because the tortilla is toasted, which is what “tostada” means in Spanish. However, in Mexico, the tortilla is traditionally fried in oil or fat to achieve that crunch. You can, by all means, do this for some extra flavor, but I chose to bake the tortillas to keep this dish on the healthier side. Baking is an excellent alternative to frying if you’re trying to keep calorie count and fat content in check. These chipotle chicken tostadas have so much flavor that you’ll hardly notice anyway. You’ll be calling it Tostada Tuesday from now on!
Chipotle Chicken Tostada Tips & Tricks
We chose to use lean ground chicken in this recipe because it’s super high in protein but low in fat. But because these chipotle chicken tostadas are made with ground chicken, you may have some issues with the chicken falling off the tostada. To solve this problem, you could put the lime crema between the tostada and the meat to help prevent the ground chicken crumbles from falling off when you take a bite.
Or, you can add an extra ingredient altogether. For me, that extra ingredient is avocado if it’s in season. You can simply put the avocado filling in a bowl and use a fork to mash it into a creamy texture. Or you can make guacamole to enjoy on your tostadas and/or as a dip for tortilla chips. I make such an easy guacamole by simply adding shallots, tomatoes, lime, jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and salt to my avocado mix. Use however much of each ingredient you’d like to fit your preferences. Put this in between the ground chicken and tostada to hold it together.
What if I Don’t Have Ground Chicken?
Not everyone can find ground chicken or ground turkey in their local grocery store. But that doesn’t matter. There is no wrong way to make a tostada! Another healthy option is boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can prepare it by combining the chicken breasts with the chipotle sauce, olive oil, and spices in a ziplock bag. Then allow it to marinate for at least an hour before grilling it or cooking it in a pan. Cut it into small chunks for your tostada, and there you go!
Another alternative that is one of my favorites is to make shredded chicken. You’ll want to boil the chicken breasts in some water with onion, garlic, and salt until tender. After that, shred your chicken with two forks and add to a pot with a mixture that contains chipotle sauce, chicken broth, and sauteed onion and garlic. Let that simmer for 20 minutes until it has been reduced — then you have a delicious chipotle shredded chicken to top your tostadas with!
Whether you prepare these chipotle chicken tostadas as is, or make your own tweaks, we want to hear about it! Be sure to share your thoughts about this recipe with us in the comment section below!
Chipotle Chicken Tostadas
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce from a can
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lowfat mayo
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Toppings for Tostadas
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the corn tortillas on a baking sheet and spray each side with cooking spray. Bake 6 minutes. Then flip and bake for 6-7 more minutes or until crispy.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium/high heat. Add the onion into the pan and leave undisturbed for 3-4 minutes. Once the onions start to brown, stir them. Then add the ground chicken into the pan.
- Break up the ground chicken with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chipotle sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and tomato paste to the ground chicken. Stir to combine. Then add in the chicken broth. Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 6-7 more minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- For the crema: Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Start with 2 teaspoons of lime juice and adjust according to your taste.
- Layer each tostada with about 1/4 cup of ground chicken, followed by the red onion, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and crema.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? If so, subscribe to our eNewsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans, and much more!