We love finding new ways to work sweet potatoes into our weekly menu. And sure, we love them mashed, baked, whipped, cut into wedges…wait. What were we saying? Right. We are utterly enchanted by tasty, superfood sweet potatoes, and we’re thrilled to introduce our readers to a recipe that gives us all a new way of cooking and enjoying these spectacular root vegetables. Our Cilantro-Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes are a great way to mix up your veggie routine, and really showcase the brilliant flavor and texture of the sweet potato in ways you never imagined!
This healthy veggie side dish is made with sweet potatoes that have been peeled and sliced into rounds. Grill your sweet potatoes with a small amount of heart healthy extra virgin olive oil, and prepare your dressing. This dressing features the rich flavors of lime and cilantro, both staples in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine, which both complement each other perfectly. This zesty dressing is enhanced with a bit of coconut brown sugar, an unprocessed, unrefined way of sweetening. Top your sweet potatoes with this concoction, and serve. This delicious recipe is a perfect side for grilled fish or chicken, and is a great way to mix up your usual veggie side routine.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 243 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 278 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 3 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced round
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 organic limes, zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a medium - large bowl, mix the sweet potato slices with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil from the 1/3 cup.
- On a hot grill or griddle, grill both sides of the sweet potatoes until cooked through.
- While waiting for them to cook, prepare the cilantro-lime dressing.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining extra virgin olive oil, cilantro, lime zest, juice, salt, sugar, and pepper. Adjust the quantities according to your liking.
- As soon as the sweet potatoes are cooked, put them in a medium - large bowl then pour the dressing while they are still hot. Mix well until all the potatoes are coated.
More Great Sweet Potato Recipes:
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!