This scrumptious recipe gives roasted chicken a tangy twist. Its rich flavor comes from clean, natural superfoods that are chock-full of health benefits.
Tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken roasts to perfection while basting in a mouthwatering citrus marinade. Oranges add a unique flavor that pairs perfectly with garden spices like minced rosemary sprigs and thyme leaves. Chili peppers deliver a zesty kick that’ll keep your taste buds on their toes. If you prefer mild flavors, you can easily substitute red bell peppers.
Our protein-packed Citrus Roasted Chicken Legs are easy to prepare and a surefire hit at any potluck or family dinner. Wherever you dish up this delicious chicken meal, your guests will clean their plates – guaranteed.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 thigh or 1 drumstick | Calories: 291 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 77mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 3g | Sugars: 10g | Protein: 37g | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 3 whole chicken legs with thighs attached
- 4 navel or blood oranges
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 red chili peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into strips (optional 1 bell pepper, chopped)
- Halve and squeeze juice from two of the oranges into a bowl. Whisk together juice, herbs, olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add chicken. Marinate covered or sealed in a bag for 2 to 8 hours. Remove from fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Remove outer peels of the two remaining oranges. Scrape peels with the side of a knife to remove white pith then slice peelings into strips. Slice the oranges into wheel shapes (rounds).
- Pour marinade over chicken in pan. Add peels around chicken. Top chicken with orange pieces and peppers. Loosely cover chicken with foil and roast for 50 to 60 minutes, basting frequently with the pan juices. Remove foil the last 10 minutes of cooking. A meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 175 F and the juices should run clear.
- Split drumsticks from thighs and remove skins for serving, if desired. Enjoy!
Have some healthy roasted chicken tips to share? We’d love to hear it! Write a little something in the comment section below.