When you think of corn on the cob, you probably think of summertime BBQs, butter and salt slathered on ears of corn, and very greasy fingers afterward! Corn, a healthy seasonal treat, offers a host of nutritional benefits, and its sweet flavor doesn’t need to be masked by fat and salt. Instead, choose to enhance the flavor of your corn with light, low-calorie seasoning. You’ll be surprised at how much more you enjoy one of your favorite veggies, and how well corn pairs with a few well-chosen ingredients.
If you want to experience a veggie dish in a new way, look to cuisines from cultures around the world for inspiration. Mexican corn on the cob is one of our favorite vegetarian side dishes, and its flavor can’t be beat. Using extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil on your corn offers you healthy fats that are low in cholesterol. And all you need to really enhance the flavor of your corn is a bit of queso anejo, a flavorful Mexican cheese with a texture similar to Parmesan. Add a bit of lime juice and chili powder, and you’ll never go back to buttery corn on the cob again.
The next time you’re looking for a side to complement your Mexican entree or your BBQ spread, choose this spicy, tangy corn on the cob recipe. Corn offers health benefits such as antioxidants beta-carotene, lutein, and ferulic acid. These antioxidants make it heart healthy. And its high fiber content aids in digestion and weight loss. So throw that cob on the grill and enjoy the unique flavors this recipe has to offer.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 ear corn with toppings | Calories: 151 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 7 mg | Sodium: 133 mg | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and boiled or grilled/oven roasted
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arbol chili powder, lime chili powder, or chili powder
- 1/4 cup queso anejo ( a Mexican aged cheese similar to parmesan) or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Coat each cooked ear of corn with oil and sprinkle salt, chili powder, and cheese onto each ear of corn.
- Serve with lime wedges for squeezing a sprinkle of juice on just before eating. Enjoy!
Make sure that you subscribe to our daily newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.