If you’re anything like me, sometimes those sugar cravings hit hard. They usually come out of nowhere, too. One minute I’m doing so well on my diet and wellness plan, and the next minute I’m buying every dessert and sugary snack possible in the grocery store. This festive Slow Cooker Cranberry Nut Stuffed Baked Apples recipe is a guaranteed lifesaver. Each serving is only 209 calories and the recipe only has 3 grams of added sugar!
Not only that, but you can make this dessert in the slow cooker. Simply prep your apples, stuff ’em full with the cranberry and walnut stuffing, and place them in the bowl of your Crock Pot. Five hours later, these sweet, healthy treats will be ready to enjoy!
Walnuts for the Win
There are so many great nuts we could have used for these Cranberry Nut Stuffed Baked Apples, but we chose walnuts for a specific reason. Walnuts are one of the healthiest nuts for you, with a higher level of antioxidants than any other nut around! They also contain high-quality, plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Add in the fact that they taste great, and there’s no reason not to love walnuts.
If you’re not a walnut fan or you just don’t have them on hand, feel free to swap in your favorite nut. Macademia nuts, pine nuts, and pecans all have more calories than walnuts, so keep that in mind if you’re making substitutions. Other nuts (like almonds, hazelnuts, and cashews) have the same calories as walnuts or fewer, so go ahead and make the swap if you’d like.
No matter how you make it, these Slow Cooker Cranberry Nut Stuffed Baked Apples will taste sweet from the brown sugar and apples, savory from the nuts, and have a hint of bright citrusy flavor from the orange zest. You can’t ask for more than that!
Slow Cooker Cranberry Nut Stuffed Baked Apples
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 apple | Calories: 209 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 26 g | Added Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 2 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 5 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 6 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup water
- Core the apples and remove the peel from just the top 1/4 inch of the apple.
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients except the water and mix well. Once combined, stuff the mixture into the center of the apple, where the core was removed. Place the stuffed apples into the slow cooker and pour the water around the apples. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.