Not only is salmon one of the healthiest types of fish, it is one of the healthiest overall foods available, too! It contains no saturated or trans fats, but is packed with healthy omega 3 fatty acids. Many consider it the world’s most heart-healthy food. Salmon dishes are an excellent replacement for red meat. Many people who have made the switch to a heart healthier diet have no problem substituting salmon meals for steaks or burgers. The meaty richness of salmon means it is satisfying and delicious. Packed with protein, salmon also makes a great post-workout dinner or breakfast food.
Salmon is simple to prepare and offers opportunity for plenty of variety. It can be served traditionally as the main dish, but many salmon recipes include the fish as a healthy addition to an otherwise boring and bland dish. For instance, salmon makes a great addition added hot or cold to a salad. It can also be the meat in a healthy sandwich or be served burger-style straight from the grill. Salmon pairs well with savory and sweet ingredients, especially fruit and barbecue seasonings.
Spice up dinner with this recipe that seals in flavor and has a crispy exterior.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 fillet | Calories: 202 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 98 mg | Carbohydrates: 4 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints: 5 |
- 4 (3 ounce) Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or coconut oil, divided
- Blackened Spices
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Combine spices in a small bowl.
- Brush each side of salmon with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Evenly distribute seasoning on both sides of salmon. Add remaining oil to a large skillet, heat to medium-high heat and add salmon. Reduce heat to medium and cook salmon 5-6 minutes on each side. The outside should be crispy and the salmon should easily flake with a fork.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.