Who doesn’t love a good crispy Parmesan chicken filet? With a crunchy coating, and a savory, cheesy crust, it makes for a comforting meal that satisfies. Unfortunately, most versions are coated in starchy breadcrumbs and then deep fried in oil to get that classic crispy texture. Often topped with more cheese, it’s a calorie bomb and a dieter’s nightmare.
This version is different. Still as satisfying as ever, it’s coated with crunchy almonds and then baked instead of fried. It’s a delicious, gluten-free, lower carb option that will leave you satisfied without the guilt. Serve it with some sautéed greens for a a healthy meal, or top with sugar free marinara and low fat mozzarella for a more traditional Italian meal.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast|Calories: 306| Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 143 mg | Sodium: 350 mg | Carbohydrates: 3 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 37 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (4-ounce chicken breasts), pounded to an even thickness
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the almonds, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip each chicken breast in the beaten egg and coat in the almond mixture. Lay on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is golden and cooked through.