Our classic Skinny Lemon Chicken gets a slow cooker makeover!
There’s something magnificent about simplicity. Combining natural lemon flavors with juicy, tender chicken is so simple, yet so delicious! The first lemon chicken recipe that we developed was a stovetop meal. This dish was an absolute hit, but it got us thinking: Is there a way to make this tasty dinner even easier to make? After hitting the kitchen and trying our hand at a few different versions, we conjured up this delicious, crockpot skinny lemon chicken!
Basic Ingredients Create Unbeatable Flavor
Just like the original skillet recipe, our crockpot skinny lemon chicken is mildly sweet with lovely hints of citrus. We combine flavors like lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, and honey with other Asian-inspired ingredients like coconut oil, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. The result is a dish with flavors that mingle in your slow cooker until the dish is infused with a unique, complex taste.
Our Crockpot Skinny Lemon Chicken is Simple and Healthy
The majority of the cooking in this recipe is done in the slow cooker, so you can get with your day while dinner cooks! We start by browning the chicken in a skillet to develop an extra layer of flavor. Then, allowing the crockpot to slow cook the chicken leaves it juicy, tender, and loaded with citrusy goodness. This amazing meal is essentially effortless. Does it get any better than that? Well yes, actually!
You’d be hard-pressed to find a healthier, more complete meal than this one. Chicken breasts are a lean protein that add very little excess fat and calories to your recipe. Lemon contributes vitamin C and antioxidants, and coconut oil is an excellent substitute for unhealthy fats and oils. Honey rounds it out with a natural sweetness that doesn’t pack on calories.
Great for Meal Prepping and Super Versatile!
When it comes to meal-prepping, some recipes are better than others. This crockpot lemon chicken is one of the best! Make it ahead of time, portion it out, and have a high-protein, low-carb option ready to go all week long.
In addition to being perfect for meal-prepping, this chicken recipe is incredibly versatile, so you can serve it in a number of different and delicious ways. Go the classic route and serve it with a side of brown rice and steamed veggies. Quinoa is a good, nutritious option, too. Of course, you can always serve it with a side of roasted, baked, or mashed potatoes if you prefer enjoying chicken with a starchy vegetable!
Trying to keep it low-carb or keto-friendly? No problem! Our skinny lemon chicken makes a great addition to stir-fried veggies and is super tasty when thrown on top of a salad! The possibilities are pretty much endless, we made a list of some of our favorite sides for this crockpot skinny lemon chicken:
- Tuscan Salad Recipe with Mixed Greens and Lemon Caper Vinaigrette (just swap out the salmon for this lemon chicken!)
- Healthy Roasted Smashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Asian Sticky Rice
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Broccoli and Mushroom Stir-Fry
The only thing left to do now is deciding how you want to enjoy this flavorful chicken dinner!
Crockpot Skinny Lemon Chicken
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 lemons juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce Braggs aminos or coconut aminos for substitutes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and brown quickly--you don't need to cook each piece through, just add a little color to the outside.
- Place in a crockpot. Sprinkle with chopped garlic, salt, and drizzle 1 1/4 cups of vegetable broth over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until very tender.
- 30-40 minutes before serving, whisk together remaining vegetable broth, lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, cornstarch, and honey. Pour this mixture into the crockpot, stir to coat. Turn crockpot to high and cook for 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Be sure to let us know what you thought about this recipe and how you decided to serve it in the comment section below!