Response to our Skinny Lemon Chicken recipe got us thinking. Was there a way in which we could turn that awesome skillet dinner into a quick and easy crockpot dish? Sure enough, after hitting the kitchen and trying our hand at a few versions, we conjured up this delicious, slow cooked version.
Just like the original, it’s mildly sweet with lovely hints of lemon flavor. We’ve combined flavors like soy sauce and honey with other traditionally Asian inspired ingredients like coconut oil, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. These flavors mingle in your slow cooker until the dish is infused with a unique, complex taste. And you’d be hard pressed to find a healthier, more complete meal than this one. Chicken breasts are a lean protein that add very little excess fat and calories to your recipe. Lemon contributes vitamin C and antioxidants, and coconut oil is an excellent substitute for less healthy fats and oils. Honey rounds it out with a natural sweetness that doesn’t pack on calories, and when served with whole grains, this meal will fill you up and keep you satisfied.
Plus, it’s cooked until the chicken is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and just begging to be spooned over a bowl of brown rice. If you’re craving Chinese takeout, try this instead! You’ll be far more satisfied and 100% guilt-free.
Crockpot Skinny Lemon Chicken
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 lemons juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce Braggs aminos or coconut aminos for substitutes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green onions diced
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and brown quickly--you don't need to cook each piece through, just add a little color to the outside.
- Place in a crockpot. Sprinkle with chopped garlic, salt, and drizzle 1 1/4 cups of vegetable broth over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until very tender.
- 30-40 minutes before serving, whisk together remaining vegetable broth, lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, cornstarch, and honey. Pour this mixture into the crockpot, stir to coat. Turn crockpot to high and cook for 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Make sure that you subscribe to our daily newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.!
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.