This classic southern dish is loaded with fresh and savory flavors.
If you’re craving something rich with a hint of comfort, look no further than our delectable deep dish tomato pie recipe! This knife-and-fork creation will please all the pizza-lovers out there, as the flavors are pretty similar. Our tomato pie, however, is a bit on the fancier side. It calls for multiple layers of fresh tomatoes and a savory cheese mixture nestled in a delectable, whole grain pie crust. So yeah: It’s like a pizza, except better!
Complementary Ingredients Create a Delicious Dish
With mouthwatering ingredients like flaky pie crust, plump tomatoes, a three-cheese blend, sweet onions, and fresh herbs, this decadent recipe is guaranteed to please your taste buds. For extra-impressive flavor and a dish with even more nutrients, consider using fresh, locally-grown tomatoes in this recipe! Tomatoes are the star of this classic southern dish, so why wouldn’t you want the best of the best?
This pie gets even better, though, because pairing juicy tomatoes with mozzarella is always a good time. We go one step further and add in feta and Parmesan cheese, creating a super-satisfying trio. The sweetness of the onion complements the tart tomatoes and creamy cheese, while basil and thyme add a hint of earthiness. It truly doesn’t get any better than this!
So Many Perfect Occasions to Eat this Deep Dish Tomato Pie
This delicious crowd-pleaser is perfect for so many different occasions! It’s the ideal addition to any summer barbecue, work luncheon, outdoor potluck, bridal shower, baby shower, or even just a Sunday get together with the girls. You can dish it up at room temperature or enjoy the recipe cold. The scrumptious tomato pie tastes great either way!
Deep Dish Tomato Pie
- 1 deep dish pie crust 9 inch, (whole grain prepared)
- 4 tomatoes medium, locally grown, varied colors, (heirloom when in season)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbles low-fat
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, finely grated
- 1/2 cup clean mayonnaise
- 1 egg large, lightly whipped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup basil freshly chopped (lemon if available)
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish and refrigerate while preparing the tomato pie.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/4-inch thick. Lay tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle slices with 1 teaspoon salt, in order to remove some of the liquid. Set aside while assembling the other ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine feta cheese, mozzarella, mayo, egg, onion, basil, thyme, and pepper. Layer in pie dish, 1/3 cheese mixture, 1/3 tomatoes, and repeat laying two additional times. Tomatoes should be on top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over tomatoes.
- Bake 25 minutes, then loosely cover with foil. Continue cooking 20 minutes, or until golden, and set.
- Cool to room temperature before slicing.
- Enjoy Deep Dish Tomato Pie the same day as baked.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you try our deep dish tomato pie, be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!
Need More Tomatoes in Your Life?
Are you a lover of all things tomato? If so, we have plenty more where that came from! If you enjoyed this deep dish tomato pie, we think you might also like to try any of these fresh and tasty recipes:
Open-Faced Tomato Parmesan Toast with Arugula
This drool-worthy, open-faced toast recipe is so simple, and yet so delicious! It tops fresh Ciabatta bread with Roma tomatoes, cream cheese, parmesan, and arugula, among a few other basic ingredients. It’s definitely a must-try!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Panini
Speaking of recipes you need to try, this tomato, mozzarella, and basil panini is perfect for lunch or dinner! If Italian comfort food is what you’re craving, this is the solution!
Italian Sausage and Tomato Pie
This tomato pie is a wonderful option for any meat lovers out there! The lean ground turkey sausage adds an extra layer of savory flavor and protein. It’s the perfect pizza night swap.
Can’t get enough of our tasty recipes? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest so you’ll never miss out on a yummy lunch or dinner idea! You can also subscribe to our eNewsletter to get the latest and greatest recipes delivered directly to your inbox.