Tomato, mozzarella, and basil are mouthwatering members of a classic Italian combination. Usually seen in caprese salads, SkinnyMs. has combined these ingredients in a savory panini. Whole wheat bread slices sandwich juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese slices, and olive oil. The sandwich is then cooked and flattened until golden crisp, yielding creamy, melted cheese that pairs perfectly with bold basil and sweet tomatoes.
This lovely medley of flavors makes a perfect summer meal. It packs in satisfying protein and complex carbs for a must-needed afternoon energy boost. Although our panini is vegetarian-friendly, even your most devout carnivore friends will go wild over this flavorful sandwich!
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich | Calories: 231 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 475mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 10g | SmartPoints: 8
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of red onion
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Spread olive oil with a pastry or basting brush over two slices of bread. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- Place one of the bread slices, oil-side down and top basil leaves, tomato slices, onion, and mozzarella. Top with other piece of bread, olive oil side up.
- Place a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat or use a Panini press.
- If using a skillet, press down with lid to flatten sandwich a bit. Cook for about 2 minutes, until golden on the bottom, and flip. Repeat on other side.
- Slice sandwich in half to make 2 servings.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment below.