Scallops are naturally low in calories and high in muscle-building protein. These healthy baked scallops are “seared” under the broiler.
Indulge your seafood cravings with these Healthy Baked Scallops. When it comes to clean eating, seafood lovers have a major advantage over those who stick to land-bound protein. Lots of seafood, including scallops, tends to be naturally low-cal while also packing plenty of nutrients and big flavor.
If you think delicious scallop recipes are only something found in fancy seafood restaurants, you couldn’t be more wrong! Once you know how to prepare scallops, you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to enjoy a healthy and delicious meal any time your heart desires. Since scallops are low in fat and calories, finding healthy scallop recipes is easy. This one for broiled scallops is a great starting point for learning the basics, but it’s amazingly delicious as well! Serve with brown rice and a green vegetable for a healthy, balanced meal.
How to Make Healthy Baked Scallops, Browned Under the Broiler
Okay, we keep going on about how easy it is, so let’s get into the details of this how-to process. Honestly, it really is as easy as laying your scallops on a baking sheet, brushing them with a simple lemon and olive oil seasoning, and letting them brown in the broiler.
If you’ve never used a broiler before, here’s a word of caution: these things work FAST. While the broiler will get you the perfect golden-brown scallops in just 5-6 minutes, if you leave them in too much longer than that, you’ll have an unintentionally blackened seafood dish on your hands. Sure, blackened fish is great when done right. Unfortunately, accidentally burning your scallops to a crisp probably won’t result in a delicacy. To prevent a blackened mess (and, you know, a kitchen fire), make sure you keep an eye on your scallops while they’re broiling. Set a timer on your phone to be sure you don’t get distracted and end up lost in an Instagram deep dive.
How to Serve these Scallops
The only thing easier than making these scallops is enjoying them. When paired with your favorite veggie, scallops make a healthy and delicious meal all on their own. Meanwhile, there’s also an endless array of ways to incorporate this tasty ingredient into other dishes. Whip up a quick batch of these Easy Broiled Scallops and toss them into salads or pasta for some extra protein, or mix in some shrimp for a tasty seafood medley.
Easy and delicious, this simple scallops recipe is a perfect way to add zesty, subtle seafood flavor to any meal.
Watch Instead of Reading!
Healthy Baked Scallops
- 12 sea scallops patted dry with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- lemon wedges for serving
- salt to taste
- pepper freshly ground (to taste)
- Preheat your oven’s broiler to high. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Lay the scallops in a baking dish or sheet tray. Combine the ghee or olive oil and lemon juice and brush the scallops lightly.
- Broil for 5-6 minutes, until tops are browned. Flip and broil 5-6 more minutes until other sides are browned. Top with the chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon before serving.
- Optional: Griddle can also be used as a cooking method.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like to try:
- Seared Scallops With Peas and Mint
- Simple Pan Seared Scallops
- 3-Ingredient Broiled Asparagus with Balsamic Brown Butter