This coconut cake is the perfect end to any meal and pairs with any topping!
In my humble opinion, coconut cake is a hugely underrated classic. Decadent, moist, unique, and elegant, coconut cake deserves so much more time in the spotlight. Alas, coconut tends to be one of those divisive flavors people either love or hate, so I don’t see it becoming the new vanilla anytime soon.
While I’ve always been a huge coconut fan, coconut cake is actually a relatively new favorite of mine. I had it for the first time at a friend’s birthday party a few years ago, and I have had it for my own birthday ever since.
This simple coconut cake is an amazing combination of fluffy and moist, unique and classic. Moreover, this cake is super versatile. While you may traditionally think of coconut as a summer flavor, this elegant cake is a perfect dessert for the holidays as well.
Meanwhile, coconut cake is a super simple recipe to lighten up. It’s no secret that coconut products are having a serious moment in the health food world right now. Ingredients like coconut oil, coconut sugar, and coconut milk dominate clean eating recipes.
While these ingredients work well as clean substitutes in all kinds of dishes, what better place for coconut products than coconut cake itself? This recipe uses coconut flour, coconut sugar, and coconut oil for a light and flavorful dessert. Meanwhile, shredded coconut keeps this cake super moist and rich with flavor.
For a unique and decadent dessert, this recipe is actually super simple. With less than ten ingredients, this easy coconut cake is quick to whip up. Just whip the egg whites and cream of tartar, forming stiff peaks. Then it’s really just a matter of combining the rest of the ingredients and popping it in the oven!
Because coconut cake has such a rich flavor on its own, it’s an amazing choice for a naked cake. Topped with just some fresh fruit, this cake is elegant, decadent, and refreshing. However, if you’re like me, cake just isn’t cake without frosting. To make a perfect coconut frosting, just add coconut extract to your favorite white or vanilla frosting recipe.
Of course, coconut cake is pretty versatile. Any kind of frosting will complement this rich cake. While I like to keep my frosting and cake matching, I can’t deny that chocolate and coconut make a pretty good combo. (I took some heat for it, but Mounds bars have always been a favorite.) Check out this healthy, clean Paleo Chocolate Frosting Recipe that’s surprisingly simple.
When it comes to this simple coconut cake, you really can’t go wrong. Rich and delicious all on its own, anything else is really just icing on the cake.
For more decadent coconut recipes, check out some of these delicious clean desserts to capitalize on the coconut trend:
- Clean Eating Chocolate Coconut Muffins
- Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie
- Banana Coconut Energy Bars
- Coconut Banana Paleo Cookies
- Coconut Cream Pudding
Easy Coconut Cake
- 4 eggs large, separated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut unsweetened, finely shredded
3-Ingredient Vanilla Frosting (optional)
- 8 ounces cream cheese package, reduced-fat
- 1/4 cup honey raw (use a thick, light color honey, my absolute favorite Honest Raw Honey)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine together the coconut oil, sugar, and the egg yolks. Add the flour, almond extract, and baking soda and mix just until smooth. Stir in the shredded coconut until the flakes are well distributed throughout the batter. Last, gently fold in the whipped egg whites and transfer the finished batter to the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
- If desired, top with fresh fruit or the 3-Ingredient Vanilla Frosting used in the photo.
3-Ingredient Vanilla Frosting (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until combined and creamy. If you love coconut, stir in 1/2 cup shredded coconut to the mixture and sprinkle a little on top of the frosting.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Please sign up for our newsletter!