Not one, but two superfoods in an easy prep salad!
Need a quick, healthy, and energizing summer lunch? This Skinny Ms. superfood salad is here to come to the rescue! Why do we call this a superfood salad, you ask? The Skinny Ms. Easy Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette packs an invigorating punch with not one, but TWO highly respected superfoods, kale and quinoa. Now you don’t have to choose between your superfoods. As we often like to do, we’ve combined these two nutritional powerhouses in an easy kale salad with quinoa recipe that includes a light and zesty lemon vinaigrette to boot.
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Kale & Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups kale chopped, loosely packed (curly kale was used in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. While cooking the quinoa, add walnuts pieces to a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and set aside.
- Salad: Add quinoa and water to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a medium-simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa has soaked up most of the liquid. Turn off the burner and add kale and cranberries. Leave covered pot on the burner until kale is wilted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Lemon Vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to a glass container and whisk until combined. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Whisk again before serving.
- Salad can be served warm or cold. Add walnuts and desired amount of vinaigrette over salad, toss to combine.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like us on Facebook and get the skinny on new recipes and workouts straight from the source. And be sure to check out our Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter for the best of the best in clean eating and workout challenges.
Speak your mind in our comments section! We’d love to hear your thoughts on this post, and on our other content.