Work deadlines. Kids’ soccer practice. Elderly parents in need of care. We all have our share of overwhelming responsibilities, and many of us tend to put healthy eating at the bottom of our to-do lists. When work and family present us with challenges, it’s all too easy to open a box of processed food for dinner, to call for takeout, or to hit a vending machine. The result is that we eat too many refined, processed ingredients, and fail to nourish our bodies with the fiber, protein, vitamins, and antioxidants we need.
Enter Clean Eating
Clean eating is a lifestyle choice. It will transform your health, while making menu planning simple and straight-forward. When you choose to eat clean, you choose to eat healthful portions of foods that are whole and fresh, instead of packaged and processed. Eating this way gives the body the nutrients and micronutrients it needs, but often takes just as little time as driving to a fast food restaurant or heating up frozen, packaged foods.
The principles of clean eating include:
1. Choosing whole fruits and veggies instead of processed versions.
2. Picking whole grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, or millet, instead of processed grains like white breads and rices.
3. Replacing fatty cuts of meat with lean cuts or heart-healthy fish.
4. Banishing soda in favor of water, unsweetened tea, or skim milk.
5. Staying away from ingredients that require a linguistics degree to pronounce.
6. Eliminating additives that increase the product’s shelf life but not your own.
7. Cutting out refined sugar that may initially satisfy your sweet tooth but, over time, raises your risk of diabetes.
Now is the time to make clean eating part of your family’s lifestyle. It’s easier and yummier than you think!
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.