You’ve heard the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Have you ever thought about your breakfast choices and how they might impact your day? Grabbing a muffin along with your daily Starbucks might be easy, but that muffin is essentially loading your body with refined sugars, and in an hour or two, when your blood sugar comes rocketing back down and your coffee has worn off, you’ll find yourself sapped off energy. This is where savory, protein-rich breakfasts come in. Combining complex carbohydrates, rather than simple carbs and sugar, with protein and healthy fats, will give you sustained energy that lasts all the way until lunchtime.
Our Egg and Avocado toast is a healthy breakfast recipe that contain two superfoods that everyone can agree are as scrumptious as they are healthy. Eggs are a breakfast staple, and for good reason. They are rich in protein, averaging at about 6 grams per egg. And that protein is made from high quality amino acids, allowing the body to use it effectively. Eggs are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, and when you buy free range eggs from chickens raised on pasture, those fatty acids come in even greater amounts.
Silky smooth eggs perfectly complement rich, creamy avocados. Avocados are loaded with fiber, healthy fatty acids, and potassium. When you top crunchy, whole grain toast with these two superstars, you’ll get a delicious mix of flavors and textures. And the best part? This breakfast is a cinch to prepare, even on the busiest of mornings!
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 toast with toppings | Calories: 295 | Total Fat: 20 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 160 mg | Sodium: 391 mg | Carbohydrates: 22 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 small avocado, pitted and sliced
- 2 slices sprouted bread (whole wheat/ whole grain can also be used)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili-lime powder (or 1/2 teaspoon arbol chili powder and fresh-squeezed juice from lime wedge)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the eggs. Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan before carefully cracking the egg into the frying pan. As the edges of the whites solidify flip your egg to the opposite side. Be careful not to break the yolk. Once both sides are cooked, leaving the inside still runny, your eggs are finished.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread.
- Drizzle a touch of olive oil over each of the slices.
- Add the slices of avocado to each piece of toast.
- Sprinkle the avocado with the chili-lime powder or the chili powder and lime and half of the salt.
- Add one egg on top of each of the avocado toasts. Sprinkle with more salt. Coarse salt such as coarse kosher salt or sea salt with large grains tastes delicious on top of these toasts but any salt will do.
- *Note: Eggs can be prepared in any style desired, including hard/soft boiled and sliced. Find other methods of cooking eggs here.
Make sure that you subscribe to our daily newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.