Nothing says comfort food better than some fried chicken. The aromas that fill the house and tastes that fill your mouth are oh so satisfying. But is it worth breaking clean eating habits for? Well, no need to look any further. Here, we have a great alternative to those deep-fried recipes that call for lots of oil and grease without sacrificing on taste. Everyone always tries to steer clear of fried foods with good reason, but what’s the alternative? The oven of course! In this recipe, you can achieve the same crisp and crunch of southern-style fried chicken without nearly as much oil.
All this recipe calls for is chicken breasts, which you can season to your liking. Once coated, it only takes a drizzle of two tablespoons of olive oil and then they can go straight into the oven. Once you bake and broil for a while, you can achieve the perfect golden glow. We promise that it tastes just as good as it looks.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 breast | Calories: 437 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 556mg | Carbohydrates: 35g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 36g | SmartPoints: 10
- 4 (6 to 8 ounce) chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse chicken breast in cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse panko bread crumbs into a fine crumb. Add remaining ingredients except for egg whites and olive oil. Pulse until well combined. Divide between two medium bowls and place egg whites into a third bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken into one of the seasoned panko and flour bowls, then dip into the beaten egg whites, and lastly dip into the second bowl of seasoned panko and flour. Place on a dark, nonstick baking sheet. Do not spray with non-stick spray! Drizzle each piece of coated chicken breast with about 1/4 tablespoon of olive oil. Reserve the remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and flip the chicken breast. Drizzle each piece of chicken with the reserved olive oil. About 1/4 tablespoon per breast. Return to the oven and cook and additional 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through.
- While the cooked chicken is still in the oven, adjust the oven temperature to low broil. Broil for about 5 minutes, while watching the chicken closely, until crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Best served with your favorite southern sides!