Our Farro salad recipe with apples and walnuts is bursting with the flavors of spring and summer! With just enough crunch from clean-eating ingredients like celery, apples, and walnuts, this healthy salad can be filling enough to be used as a main dish. If you are new to cooking with farro, it is actually one of the oldest cultivated grains in the world. It is a whole grain that is an amazing source of complex carbohydrates and has twice the protein of regular wheat. When cooked, farro develops a consistency very similar to pasta. While it does contain some gluten, the molecules are much weaker than those found in regular wheat allowing farro to be more easily digested.
This salad recipe is a great way to become more familiar with cooking this amazing superfood! Also, be sure to check out some of our other Salad Recipes.
Much of the fat in this recipe comes from using both olive oil and walnuts- Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 285 g |Calories: 389 | Total Fat: 18.8 g | Saturated Fat: 2.1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 886 mg | Carbohydrates: 45.6 g | Dietary Fiber: 8.9 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 9.1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 2 cups uncooked farro grain
- 4 ½ cups cold water
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 Gala apples, unpeeled and diced
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the faro and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until the farro is slightly chewy. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the cider vinegar, apple juice, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and slowly whisk in the oil.
- In a large bowl combine the farro, celery, parsley, apples, and walnuts and toss with the dressing.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.