The apple-walnut combo adds a touch of sweetness and crunch
Our Farro salad recipe with apples and walnuts is bursting with the flavors of spring and summer! With just enough crunch from clean-eating ingredients like celery, apples, and walnuts, this healthy salad can be filling enough to be used as a main dish. If you are new to cooking with farro, it is actually one of the oldest cultivated grains in the world. It is a whole grain that is an amazing source of complex carbohydrates and has twice the protein of regular wheat. When cooked, farro develops a consistency very similar to pasta. While it does contain some gluten, the molecules are much weaker than those found in regular wheat allowing farro to be more easily digested.
This salad recipe is a great way to become more familiar with cooking this amazing superfood! Also, be sure to check out some of our other Salad Recipes.
Farro Salad with Apples and Walnuts
- 2 cups farro grain uncooked
- 4 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cups walnuts chopped
- 2 gala apples unpeeled and diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the faro and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until the farro is slightly chewy. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the cider vinegar, apple juice, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and slowly whisk in the oil.
- In a large bowl combine the farro, celery, parsley, apples, and walnuts and toss with the dressing.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.