We've made our stuffing using wheat bread, turkey sausage, fennel, veggies, and herbs.
If you’re looking to take your holiday meal to the next level, try our Fennel and Sausage Stuffing Stuffed Peppers. We’ve made our stuffing using wheat bread, turkey sausage, fennel, veggies and herbs. We also put an upscale spin on it by presenting the stuffing in a bell pepper cup. Have no fear; these stuffed peppers aren’t difficult to make! It’s actually very little work for a lot of wow factor!
These would work well in a plated dinner menu, especially if you are trying to impress your guests. We recommend using yellow or red peppers for the most attractive presentation, but green would work just as well!
Fennel and Sausage Stuffing Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage nitrate-free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fennel sliced
- 2 tablespoons celery diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon sage fresh, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups whole-wheat bread cubes dry
- 1 cup chicken stock low-sodium, warm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and white membrane to create cups.
- In medium skillet, cook sausage, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks, until no pink remains. Drain off any excess fat. In the same pan, add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add fennel, celery, and onion and cook until soft. Mix in sage, salt, and pepper followed by dry bread cubes. Toss to coat. Gradually add stock, 1/4 cup at a time until absorbed. Stuffing should be moist, but not wet.
- Fill pepper cups with the stuffing. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until peppers are soft and the stuffing tops are lightly browned and crunch. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Some other stuffed pepper recipes you might like to try:
What is your favorite way to stuff peppers? Share your recipe ideas in the comments!