Flax seeds and apples just seem to go together. They are warm and comforting first thing in the morning, and with the added health benefits of oats, you can’t go wrong. Oats are low in sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol. They are an excellent way to get manganese, phosphorus, and vitamin A as well.
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 292 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 76mg | Carbohydrates: 54g | Dietary Fiber: 6g | Sugars: 28g | Protein: 11g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 4 cups fat-free milk (nondairy works well, too)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flax seeds or flax meal
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons honey or pure maple syrup, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.