Enjoy this SkinnyLicious dish, which is high in omega-3’s, and a good source of protein, selenium, and manganese. Brown rice with tomatoes is a great accompaniment to fish. This is a complete meal that will fill you up and keep you satisfied for hours. Brown rice is a whole grain and a much better alternative to white rice or pasta. It pairs perfectly with fish and is elevated even more with the fresh taste of thyme and tomatoes. Best of all, the tomatoes and herbs in this dish boost its health content even more.
Finding a healthy rice recipe is a great solution for a weeknight dinner or when you are entertaining. Rice dishes can be casual and run-of-the-mill, but paired with fish, it becomes perfect for a special occasion. This brown rice recipe can be adjusted to serve a single diner or a large dinner party. It even travels well, so if you are looking for a dish to bring to a special occasion, this is an option.
Fresh thyme gives this dish an unexpected twist. Brown rice tomatoes pairs well with a variety of herbs and most would expect a tomato dish to be flavored with basil. Thyme is a great alternative and highlights the taste of the flounder.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 275 | Total Fat: 9 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Sodium: 768 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 gm | Dietary fiber: 3 gm | Sugars: 3 gm | Protein: 19 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 1/2 pounds Flounder filets, cut into 1” squares (or your favorite white fish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, low fat, plain
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petit diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth, fat free, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- In a large mixing bowl combine lemon juice and yogurt, add Flounder pieces, coat with yogurt, cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator while rice is cooking.
- Add oil to a large skillet, heat to medium-low, add garlic and onion and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add rice and remaining ingredients, stir. Cover rice mixture with lid, reduce heat to low and continue cooking approximately 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Add Flounder alone with yogurt, and continue cooking until fish is done, approximately 10 minutes.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.