Standard rice can get boring, especially when you’re craving different flavors and textures in your meal. Spruce it up with this Fried Rice and Cabbage, guaranteed to put any basic rice recipe to shame!
This fried rice recipe features the prized vegetable cabbage, along with an array of crunchy and flavorful garnishes. Thanks to the energy-boosting rice carbs, it’s substantial when served as a light supper and a small bowl makes the perfect pre-workout snack. Dress up the dish with shredded carrots, juicy bean sprouts, and tangy ginger. Although this rockin’ rice dish is vegetarian, we promise that even your carnivore friends will love it!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 275 |Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 468mg | Carbohydrates: 45g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced and peeled ginger root
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sprouts, (bean sprouts used in this recipe)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil or other high-heat oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, optional
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup scallions or basil, optional, for garnish
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, optional, for garnish
- For the rice:
- Add rice, salt, and water to a pot, stir once, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to cook, untouched, for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Remove cover and fluff rice with a fork.
- Lay the rice evenly on a baking sheet. Do not press down on the rice, but move to fill baking sheet. Place uncovered in fridge for 1 hour to up to 10 hours to cool and dry out the rice.
- To fry the rice:
- Add canola oil to a pan over medium heat. Add onions and ginger and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are slightly softened and translucent. Add the cabbage and the carrots and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and turn heat to high. Stir constantly for 4 minutes. Stir in the toasted sesame oil (if using) and the soy sauce or soy sauce alternatives. Add the bean sprouts. Cook for an additional minute and serve with any of the optional garnishes sprinkled on top.
We love hearing from our readers! Leave us a comment about this recipe or anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs.