Our garbanzo curry burgers are high in protein and fiber, and low in fat. They are a kid-friendly dish and the perfect option for a meat-free meal. If you love burgers, but you are looking for ways to cut back on saturated fat and keep your meals as healthy as possible, this recipe is a great option.
Healthy burgers are often a culinary miss. Many are dry and taste like cardboard, making them not worth the health upgrade. This burger blasts through all the healthy burger myths and offers a burgers recipe that is sure to be a hit with everyone in your family. They even make a great alternative to traditional burgers served at a cookout or picnic.
Best of all, these burgers contain curry. Curry is growing in popularity in Western cooking, but it still hasn’t reached the level of more popular seasonings, such as basil or oregano. It should, though, because it is packed with health benefits. Curry is made with turmeric, one of the world’s healthiest spices. It is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties and some even believe this spice has the ability to reduce a person’s risk for cancer. That’s a big plus when all you aim to do is indulge in a burger!
Yield: Servings 4 | Serving Size: 1 Garbanzo Curry Burger and 1 Bun | Calories: 293 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 84 mg | Carbohydrates: 46 g | Dietary Fiber: 10 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 4 Whole Wheat Buns
- In a small skillet sauté garlic and onion in oil over medium low heat, cook until tender, about 4 minutes. In a large bowl add beans and mash with a fork. Combine garlic, onion along with all other ingredients-- except buns.
- Shape bean mixture into 4 patties, place on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray, heat to medium-low and cook approximately 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated through and both sides are lightly browned.
- Try topping burgers with a little spicy salsa & 2% cheddar or go traditional and add lettuce, tomato, pickle and mustard.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.