Are you tired of eating the same bland sides over and over again? If you’re one of the many people who have had enough brown rice and steamed broccoli to last a lifetime, it’s time to switch it up. You’re going to want to try our Garlic Braised Greens and Chickpea Salad. It makes a great addition to any main course!
This side dish takes only 20 minutes to prepare, but the wonderful, earthy flavors will have you believing it took much longer than that! Better yet, this recipe is loaded with incredible nutrients, and it comes in at only 129 calories per serving. At this point, what reason do you have not to try it?
The main ingredients in this recipe are several different types of nutritious greens. It includes kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, and mustard greens. On their own, each of these are nutritional powerhouses. When combined, the benefits become even greater.
This recipe will provide you with fiber and antioxidants, as well as calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, magnesium, and potassium! These nutrients promote heart health, bone health, and offer several different disease-fighting properties as well.
Chickpeas for Plant-Based Protein
In addition to the wealth of vitamins and minerals provided by the different greens, this recipe also contains one of our favorite plant-based proteins. Chickpeas are delicious, and they’re full of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. They also add plenty of volume to your meal to help fill your belly for hours.
Your New Go-To Side
The flavors and health benefits of this tasty side dish are sure to make this one of your favorite new recipes. It’s incredibly simple to make, and it’s just as easy to clean up! That said, it is just a side dish, so you need a main course to go with it, right?
Consider pairing this garlic braised greens and chickpea salad recipe with one of these healthy main courses:
Garlic Braised Greens and Chickpea Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup kale stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups collard greens stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups mustard greens stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup Swiss chard stems removed and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked and rinsed (if using canned beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the kale, collard greens, mustard greens and Swiss chard.
- Just as the greens begin to will, stir in the garlic, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the greens are wilted. Drain off any excess liquid (the greens will release liquid as they cook). Serve hot.
We have plenty more delicious sides to choose from! Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so that you never miss out on one! You can also subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to get our newest and most popular recipes delivered directly to your inbox.