Healthy dog biscuits made with this grain-free secret ingredient.
Dogs often suffer from allergies that prevent them from eating grains, for example, wheat flour or oats. Using black beans is an excellent substitute for most any grain. Lentils are also a good choice. Like with any treat we recommend portion control. Although this healthy dog biscuit recipe is made without added sweeteners they should be given in moderation. If your dog suffers from itchy skin or grain related allergies, this treat is a yummy option to commercially made dog biscuits.
NOTE: Check with your veterinarian before making any changes to your pet’s diet. Also, please be aware of any allergies your pet may have to specific ingredients and avoid ingredients which have caused reactions in your pets in the past. If you are unsure about a specific ingredient found in one of our recipes, introduce the food to your pets in small amounts first.
Grain-Free Dog Biscuits
- 1 cup black beans cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup peanut butter natural
- 1/2 banana very ripe, mashed
- 1 egg whipped (see tip below for dogs with allergies to chicken products)
- Add cooked black beans to a food processor, blender, or use a fork and mash well. Combine mashed beans with peanut butter, banana, and whipped egg. Stir until smooth and well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled and slightly thickened, approximately 1 hour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto a parchment-lined or nonstick cookie pan.
- Makes approximately 30 to 34 small biscuits. After 15 minutes remove pan and use the back of a spoon or a fork to flatten. Bake another 10 minutes then flip biscuits over. Continue baking 15 to 20 minutes. Total baking time is 40 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
- Tip: For dogs with allergies to chicken products, substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce for one egg.
- Make Ahead: Because there is no flour used in this recipe the biscuits are more like soft baked cookies. This biscuit recipe is great for freezing. Just bake as instructed, allow to cool completely then store in a freezer ziplock bag. Be sure to label the bag with the date and contents. Remove a few biscuits at a time and thaw at room temperature before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Follow us on Pinterest for more tips, stories, and tasty pet recipes.
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.