This green bean casserole will be a staple during the holidays.
Green Bean Casserole is a must on many holiday dinner menus. Since we don’t use canned soups or canned french-fried onion rings, we created a recipe with the same comfort food taste. The great news is that there are no added corn syrups, preservatives or additives in this tasty recipe. We think you’ll love this version as much as our family does!
Green Bean Casserole
- 16 ounces green beans bag (thawed), or fresh green beans that have been trimmed and broken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced (optional, white or button mushrooms will also work)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken broth fat free, low sodium
- 1 cup milk low fat
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese (shred block cheese for an easier melting cheese vs pre-shredded)
- Baked Onion Ring's Recipe, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add oil to a large skillet, heat to medium, saute mushrooms until tender and they begin to release moisture, approximately 5 minutes. Add minced garlic to mushrooms and continue to saute for one additional minute. Add cornstarch and stir to combine. Add broth and green beans, cook until liquid begins to thicken and green beans are slightly tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir milk into green bean mixture, pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and stir to combine. Bake until hot and bubbly, approximately 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms