You've never had eggplant like this before!
When you like your eggplant dishes to offer a spectacular smokey flavor, you’ll love this grilled eggplant recipe! Grilling thick slices of eggplant brings creates a flavor that baking just can’t replicate. Combine this with our white bean pureé, and you’ve got yourself an eggplant recipe that can’t be beat. By slow cooking the beans with herbs and pairing them with grilled garlic and leeks, you can create a complex flavor that blends beautifully with the grilled caprese and make a satisfying meal that is sure to please.
You might also like:
Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Salad
Slow Cooker Eggplant, Potato, and Mushroom Curry
Fall Harvest Pizza
*This incredible recipe was created by Gwen of Simply Healthy Family. Gwen is a busy wife, mom of 4, and health care provider living in the Sonoran desert. Gwen is passionate about making meals and snacks healthier without sacrificing flavor!
Grilled Eggplant Caprese with Garlicky White Bean Puree
For the Eggplant Caprese
- 2 eggplants medium, sliced
- 2 tomatoes large, sliced
- 8 to 10 ounce mozzarella ball fresh, sliced
- parmesan fresh, gated
- basil fresh handful, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing eggplant
For the White Bean Puree*
- 2 cups white beans dry
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 leek small; optional for more flavor
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 rosemary fresh sprig
- 1 garlic head
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- The night before, soak your beans in a covered bowl of water. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans. Place in a slow cooker with water, salt, bay leaves, and rosemary sprig. Cook on low for 8 hours. Do not pick up the lid.
- Putting it all together: Fire up your grill on medium heat. Using a paring knife, remove peel from the eggplant. Slice into 1/2 pieces. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Remove loose skin from garlic. Cut the top 1/4 inch off of the head of garlic.
- Lightly drizzle the exposed garlic cloves with oil. Place on grill.
- Cut the dark green leaves off the leek, discard. Slice the remaining white and light green stalk in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with oil. Place leek cut side down on the grill.
- Place eggplant on grill and press lightly. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side (leave the leek face down).
- I like to close the grill lid to let the smoke work its magic. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Remove from grill. Set eggplant aside. Carefully chop leek into small pieces. Meanwhile, remove rosemary and bay leaves from cooked beans. Put leek into the slow cooker with the beans. Carefully squeeze out cooked garlic cloves into beans. Using an immersion blender, puree the beans until smooth. Spoon onto a deep plate. Top with freshly cracked pepper.
- On top of the bean puree, place a slice of grilled eggplant, top with a slice of mozzarella, tomato, chopped basil, repeat. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for more tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.