When you like your eggplant dishes to offer a spectacular smokey flavor, you’ll love this grilled eggplant recipe! Grilling thick slices of eggplant brings creates a flavor that baking just can’t replicate. Combine this with our white bean pureé, and you’ve got yourself an eggplant recipe that can’t be beat. By slow cooking the beans with herbs and pairing them with grilled garlic and leeks, you can create a complex flavor that blends beautifully with the grilled caprese and make a satisfying meal that is sure to please.
*This incredible recipe was created by Gwen of Simply Healthy Family. Gwen is a busy wife, mom of 4, and health care provider living in the Sonoran desert. Gwen is passionate about making meals and snacks healthier without sacrificing flavor!
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 stack | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 17 mg | Sodium: 573 mg | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Dietary Fiber: 14 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8-10 oz fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- fresh Parmesan, grated
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- EVOO for brushing eggplant
- 2 cups dry white beans
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 small leek (optional, for more flavor)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon EVOO
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- The night before, soak your beans in a covered bowl of water. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans. Place in a slow cooker with water, salt, bay leaves and rosemary sprig. Cook on low for 8 hours. Do not pick up lid.
- Putting it all together: Fire up your grill on medium heat. Using a paring knife, remove peel from eggplant. Slice into 1/2 pieces. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Remove loose skin from garlic. Cut the top 1/4 inch off of the head of garlic.
- Lightly drizzle the exposed garlic cloves with oil. Place on grill.
- Cut the dark green leaves off the leek, discard. Slice the remaining white and light green
- stalk in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with oil. Place leek cut side down on grill.
- Place eggplant on grill and press lightly. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side (leave the leek face down).
- I like to close the grill lid to let the smoke work it's magic. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Remove from grill. Set eggplant aside. Carefully chop leek into small pieces. Meanwhile, remove rosemary and bay leaves from cooked beans. Put leek into the slow cooker with the beans. Carefully squeeze out cooked garlic cloves into beans. Using an immersion blender, puree the beans until smooth. Spoon onto a deep plate. Top with freshly cracked pepper.
- On top of the bean puree, place a slice of grilled eggplant, top with slice of mozzarella, tomato, chopped basil, repeat. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil.