Grilling is one of the best parts of summer cooking. It feels so fun and exciting the first time you fire up the grill on that first warm night of the year. Somewhat less fun and exciting? A few months in when you’ve been grilling out every single night because it’s a midsummer heatwave and it’s too damn hot to even think about turning on the stove. If you’ve had to resort to the grill to beat the heat over and over again this summer, you may be running out of go-to grilling recipes. Survive your next heatwave and mix things up with these fun and fresh Grilled Honey Lime Cilantro Chicken Skewers.
Fire Up The Grill, Beat The Heat
Yes, summer is fun and exhilarating, and summer cooking is tasty and exciting. But let’s face it. Summer gets old, and the novelty of grilling definitely starts to wear off once high temps and humidity have made it your only option.
But before you start dreaming of crisp autumn evenings when the warm stove is again your best friend, let us help you reignite your love for summer (and the grill) with a fun new recipe. (Because you know you’re gonna miss these sweltering temps when you’re months deep in snow storms come February.)
If you can’t take another night of boring burgers or barbecue chicken, these Grilled Honey Lime Cilantro Chicken Skewers will definitely help mix things up! The perfect infusion of sweet honey and tangy lime, these grilled chicken skewers burst with bold summery flavor.
Sweet, Tangy, and Tender
This tender and tangy chicken proves that barbecue sauce is not your only option for summer chicken recipes. (No shame on the classic sweet and sticky stuff though.) This honey lime chicken is the perfect combination of sweet and citrusy. Meanwhile, cilantro adds a little extra Southwestern flair to this fresh and flavorful recipe.
Toss these marinated chicken skewers on the grill for an easy outdoor dinner. The refreshing citrus flavor will definitely help you fall in love with summer (or at least summer cooking) all over again. Meanwhile, any leftovers you may end up with are great sliced or shredded in tacos or on salads. It’s an easy on-the-grill meal that you can stretch for more no-stove dinners until that heatwave lets up.
These Grilled Honey Lime Cilantro Chicken Skewers are great for a busy summer weeknight or your next barbecue. Either way, this zesty recipe is sure to get you out of your midsummer slump!
Yield: 8 Skewers | Serving Size: 1 Skewer | Calories: 151 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 4 g | Sugar: 2 g | Protein: 23 g | Cholesterol: 72 mg | Sodium: 164 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1 |
- 4 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more or less depending on preference)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Skewer the chicken and bell peppers on to wooden skewers in the following pepper, 1 chicken cube, 1 red bell pepper cube, 1 green bell pepper cube, and repeat until all the chicken and peppers have been used.
- In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients - only use half of the fresh cilantro. Mix well.
- Place the skewers in a shallow dish and pour 2/3 of the lime mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate the skewers for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. Once the grill is hot, place the skewers on to the grill. Cook for about 10 minutes, turning half way though or until chicken is firm and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle remaining marinade over top and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve hot!
For more healthy living tips, tricks, and recipes, be sure to sign up for our Newsletter!