What’s better than a classic Italian caprese? Well, this new and improved recipe includes the same flavors you love to pair in that simple salad or even with a slice of ciabatta. But this time, we’ve served it alongside slices of grilled zucchini. Although the flavors may seem complex, the recipe is quite simple. Delicious grilled zucchini complements layers of melty mozzarella and juicy tomatoes. Now, doesn’t that sound delicious? But, it gets better! The caprese is topped off with a homemade balsamic, honey dressing that is made of just that: balsamic vinegar and honey. Those two ingredients simmer in a pot until thickened and then voila! You have yourself a modern-take on a classic Italian favorite.
Serve this dish anywhere grilled veggies are welcome. You really can’t go wrong! Plus, it’s the perfect low-carb addition to any of your meals, and it doesn’t skimp on vital minerals and vitamins. It’s healthy, wholesome, and friendly to a variety of diet. Grill it up and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 107 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 9 mg | Sodium: 210 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 10 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 4 medium sized zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin circles
- 3 ounces part-skim fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into thin circles
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil, place on grill flat side down. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until grill marks begin to form on the zucchini. Turn over.
- While the second side of the zucchini is grilling place the tomato and mozzarella cheese, alternating each slice, onto the flat side of the zucchini. Close the lid and grill one or two minute - just until the mozzarella begins to melt. Carefully remove from the grill and sprinkle with salt and fresh basil. Drizzle with balsamic honey dressing.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the vinegar and honey on medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until sauce has reduced and thickened.Remove from the stove and cool slightly.
- Drizzle over Grilled Zucchini Caprese and serve!
Be sure to also try Zucchini Noodles with Pistachio Pesto.
Do you have a go-to zucchini recipe? Please share with us in the comments section below.