Zucchini, fresh tomato and basil make this an easy summer entree.
What’s better than a classic Italian caprese? Well, this new and improved recipe includes the same flavors you love to pair in that simple salad or even with a slice of ciabatta. But this time, we’ve served it alongside slices of grilled zucchini. Although the flavors may seem complex, the recipe is quite simple. Delicious grilled zucchini complements layers of melty mozzarella and juicy tomatoes. Now, doesn’t that sound delicious? But, it gets better! The caprese is topped off with a homemade balsamic, honey dressing that is made of just that: balsamic vinegar and honey. Those two ingredients simmer in a pot until thickened and then voila! You have yourself a modern-take on a classic Italian favorite.
Serve this grilled zucchini caprese anywhere grilled veggies are welcome. You really can’t go wrong! Plus, it’s the perfect low-carb addition to any of your meals, and it doesn’t skimp on vital minerals and vitamins. It’s healthy, wholesome, and friendly to a variety of diets. Grill it up and enjoy!
Grilled Zucchini Caprese
For the Zucchini
- 4 zucchini medium-sized, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tomatoes medium, cut into thin circles
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese fresh, part-skim, cut into thin circles
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped fine
Balsamic Honey Dressing
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the Zucchini
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil, place on grill flat side down. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until grill marks begin to form on the zucchini. Turn over.
- While the second side of the zucchini is grilling place the tomato and mozzarella cheese, alternating each slice, onto the flat side of the zucchini. Close the lid and grill one or two minutes - just until the mozzarella begins to melt. Carefully remove from the grill and sprinkle with salt and fresh basil. Drizzle with balsamic honey dressing.
For the Balsamic Honey Dressing
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar and honey on medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Remove from the stove and cool slightly.
- Drizzle over Grilled Zucchini Caprese and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Be sure to also try Zucchini Noodles with Pistachio Pesto.
What did you think of this Grilled Zucchini Caprese? Do you have a go-to zucchini recipe? Please share with us in the comments section below.