Why make your dog’s food from scratch? When you make this homemade turkey loaf recipe for dogs, you’ll know exactly what your best friend is eating. We believe dogs should eat just as healthily as their human companions, so all of our dog food recipes are made with human-grade ingredients! No need to worry about additives, preservatives, sweeteners, or other unhealthy ingredients.
Many people believe that purchasing dog food is just as healthy as making it yourself. It certainly seems to be more convenient, too. After making this homemade turkey loaf recipe for dogs, I’m not sure it’s that much more difficult to make it at home! But, commercially-made food works better for some people. Whether you buy canned or dried dog food, be sure to check the ingredients list to make sure there aren’t any hidden additives.
You should also double check that there haven’t been any recalls for the brand you are considering. There are a few sites that send emails with updates of dog food recalls. I use Dog Food Advisor to look for recalls and to receive ongoing recall alerts.
How to Choose the Right Ingredients for Dog Food Recipes
Choosing ingredients for dog food recipes is actually quite easy. Think of the type of food you would eat; nutrient-dense vegetables and lean proteins. That idea works for dogs, too! This homemade turkey loaf recipe for dogs can be modified to fit your dog’s dietary needs. For example, if your dog has allergies to poultry, use beef or pork instead. The egg can also be eliminated, if necessary.
To increase the nutritional value of this recipe, I often add any or all of the following:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup diced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced baby spinach in place of green beans
Keep in mind that you should always check with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet. Also, please be aware of any allergies your pet may have to specific ingredients and avoid ingredients which have caused reactions in your pets in the past. If you are unsure about an ingredient found in one of our recipes, introduce the food to your pets in small amounts first.
Homemade Turkey Loaf Recipe for Dogs
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes (with liquid, no sodium)
- 1/2 cup carrots finely diced
- 1/2 cup green beans diced (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cup brown rice or quinoa cooked
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine all ingredients. Spread mixture into a 5 x 7-inch loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Slice and chop into bite sized pieces. Store covered in the refridgerator, or freeze.
How to Make Ahead: After the loaf has cooled, slice it into individual servings and store it in a freezer safe bag or container. Remove slices as needed and defrost them in the refrigerator the night before serving.