A delicious vegetarian option that captures your favorite savory steakhouse flavors.
Sure, we’ve all had veggie burgers. But veggie steak? May sound a little out there but stick with me on this one. These herb-crusted cauliflower steaks are a delicious vegetarian option for when you’re craving some savory steakhouse flavor without the meat.
I’m not a vegetarian, but I’ve never been a huge meat-hound either. Let’s just say you won’t catch me ordering any pizza that categorizes me as “meat-lover.”
Similarly, when it comes to steak, I like it on occasion, but usually, I find it kind of over-hyped. I went to a fancy steakhouse exactly one time and honestly felt pretty overwhelmed. There were so many different cuts and everyone judges you if you don’t order it rare. Frankly, I was out of my element.
So while I can’t promise you that these herb-crusted cauliflower steaks will taste JUST like cutting into a six-ounce filet mignon, you probably wouldn’t be here if that’s really what you were looking for. These savory herb-crusted cauliflower steaks probably won’t satisfy (or fool) the ultimate meat-lover in your house. But for those of us who are just keeping things casual with meat or have broken it off altogether, this recipe makes for a great meatless meal that still captures the savory flavors of your favorite steakhouse.
You may be wondering, logistically, how exactly I’ve made “steaks” out of cauliflower.
To make these herb crusted cauliflower “steaks,” you’ll start with a large head of cauliflower. Cut across the head to form 1-inch slices. These will become your steaks. Easy as that!
Lay them flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Then, season with salt and pepper. The cauliflower steaks will bake for about 20 minutes.
Afterward, these herb crusted cauliflower steaks really earn their name. A delicious herb, yogurt, and mustard spread gives these cauliflower steaks a rich, savory flavor. Top with Panko and return these steaks to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes.
Savory and cooked to perfection, these herb crusted cauliflower steaks capture a rich steakhouse flavor in a totally meatless meal. Oh, and the best part? No one will judge you for enjoying this steak “well-done.”
If you’re looking for something to complete this meal, check out this tasty side. I made a delicious side salad, which pairs perfectly with the cauliflower steaks, and I just had to share it with you. Super simple to make, just toss the following ingredients with a drizzle of olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
Side Veggie Salad Recipe: (optional)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved (yellow was used in the photo)
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
Enjoy! And be sure to let us know what you think of this veggie steak in the comments!
Quick & Easy Herb-Crusted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into large 1 inch "steaks"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt plain
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup whole-grain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the cauliflower steaks on to the sheet. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and softened.
- Meanwhile, combine the garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, yogurt, and mustard in a small bowl. Mix well. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and spread the herb mixture over the roasted cauliflower. Sprinkle the panko over the yogurt mixture, gently pressing it into the cauliflower. Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms