Looking for a Greek getaway but on a budget? Spice up your daily menu with these chicken gyros! These instant pot chicken gyros are the best way to serve up this Greek delicacy in such an easy and simple way. Gyros typically involve a vertical rotisserie, but in this simpler version, you will be able to use your very own instant pot to prepare them to taste just as good. For the chicken, you simply place all the ingredients in the instant pot, adjust the settings, and in under 30 minutes you have gyro-style chicken.
The explosion of flavor comes with the sauce, which incorporates all sorts of Mediterranean flavors such as Greek yogurt, garlic, olive oil, and dry dill. Once all combined, you have created your very own tzatziki sauce that can go with any dish, not just this one. To assemble the final meal, you need the pita, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, the sauce, and the chicken. The best part about this step is that it is all about your personal preferences, so you can add more or less of each ingredient depending on what YOU want. Get the whole family involved and make it a weekly tradition!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 gyro | Calories: 386 | Total Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 581mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints: 11
- 5 gloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 yellow onion, diced large
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (6 to 8 ounce) chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1/2 cup cucumber, shredded fine
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons dry dill
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Place all ingredients into the Instant Pot. Place the lid onto the pot, make sure the lid is sealed and the dial is not pointing towards vent.
- Press the "Poultry" button followed by the "Adjust" button to light up the high pressure light. Adjust the time using the "+" button to read 25 minutes. The Instant Pot will automatically pre-heat (about 15 minutes depending on your Instant Pot) and start the time once ready.
- When the 25 minute cooking time is complete, carefully vent the Instant Pot. Caution, the steam is very hot! Once all steam is released open the lid and shred the chicken. Keep shredded chicken in the pot and stir into the now cooked onions and spices. Keep warm.
- In a small bowl, place the cucumber and sprinkle the salt on top. Set aside for at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Once the cucumber has rested, squeeze out any excess liquid and add to the yogurt mixture, mixing well to incorporate the cucumber throughout the yogurt.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken and 1 or 2 tablespoons of the Gyro sauce on top of a pita. Top with tomato, red onion, lettuce, and feta. Serve and enjoy!