To this day, if someone asks me what my favorite food is, I’ll say spaghetti. It’s been my favorite food since childhood, and it has aged perfectly. Spaghetti never gets old: It’s truly a food for all ages and occasions. Romantic dinner date? Spaghetti and meatballs will set the mood. Busy weeknight? Spaghetti is quick and easy to throw together. Hosting a team dinner for 30 high school lacrosse players? A massive pot of spaghetti is the most economical and universally pleasing option!
There are as many reasons to love spaghetti as there are individual strands of pasta on any given heaping plateful. It’s delicious, inexpensive, filling, and also super easy to make. But, sometimes, easy isn’t easy enough, so we went ahead and made your easiest weeknight dinner even easier. Yep, this Instant Pot Skinny Spaghetti makes the easiest meal in your repertoire even more efficient, as only an Instant Pot can. So go ahead and retire your trusty spaghetti water boiling pot (we all have one); you won’t be needing it anymore.
Spaghetti In An Instant
If you’re doing it the middle class, boxed-spaghetti-and-a-jar-of-sauce way, spaghetti is a quick and easy meal. We’re not talking anything fancy like handmade pasta or your Italian grandmother’s secret family tomato sauce recipe. Most of us can relate to that “I got home late on Wednesday night and the kids have soccer practice in 40 minutes” kind of spaghetti.
Fortunately, the Instant Pot sees your “quick and easy” and raises you “instant and no effort required.” You literally don’t even have to boil a pot of water to make this Instant Pot Skinny Spaghetti. That’s great, because boiling water is boring and a waste of everyone’s time.
This Instant Pot spaghetti is ready in just eight minutes. You’ve probably never been making spaghetti before and thought, “If only this were easier.” But that’s just what the Instant Pot does. It provides solutions to problems you didn’t even know you had. You’re welcome.
Spaghetti Made Skinny
If there’s one department in which spaghetti doesn’t earn an A, it’s maybe in the nutritional area. Sure, it’s a filling and hearty meal, but sometimes it can be, well, a little too filling and hearty.
Fortunately, this classic dish is super easy to lighten up. This Skinny Instant Pot Spaghetti gets a slimmed-down makeover thanks to whole-wheat pasta and no-sugar-added marina sauce. And that’s it. Just a couple simple swaps are all you need to clean up this classic recipe. Skinny spaghetti here we come!
Yield: 8 Servings | Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 348 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 51 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 8 g | Protein: 20 g | Cholesterol: 44 mg | Sodium: 762 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1 (1 pound) box whole wheat spaghetti pasta
- 1 (24 ounce) jar no-sugar added marinara sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the turkey sausage. Cook the sausage, breaking it into small pieces, until cooked through. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Break the spaghetti in half and place in the Instant Pot. Add the marinara, water, and diced tomatoes. Make sure the pasta is completely covered in liquid.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the vent is sealed, and set it to manual mode, high pressure, and set the timer for 8 minutes. When the time is up, manually release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir well. Serve hot.