The perfect meal for a romantic dinner for two or a big family get-together, spaghetti and meatballs is a universal crowd pleaser. Unfortunately, the often carb-heavy dish is usually one of the first to go when you start thinking thin. No one should have to give up this classic favorite just to keep an eye on their waistline. With our Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs, no one has to! Made with whole wheat pasta and lean ground turkey, this dish is a lightened-up version of the Italian classic. With a few substitutions, this dish cuts back on sugar while still packing all the flavor of the dinnertime favorite. Serve with our Gluten Free Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks for the full Italian dinner experience! While your friends may have ditched pasta, our Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs prove you don’t have to give up your favorite foods to stay fit!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 385 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 686mg | Carbohydrates: 42g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 26g | SmartPoints: 11
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat-free grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-sugar added diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 ounce) jar no-sugar added marinara sauce
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, onion, egg whites, parmesan, Panko, and garlic. Mix well and form into 1 inch balls.
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the meatballs and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium high heat. Turn once or twice while cooking. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the diced tomatoes, marinara, water, and spaghetti to the same pan as the meatballs. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the pasta is tender. Additional water can be added if needed. Serve and enjoy!
- If desired, additional grated parmesan or chopped parsley can be served on top!