Bring out delectable flavor in these braised onions.
A main course is never complete without a good side dish to complement it. Even simple small onions can work wonders as they slowly stew in wine, brandy, and raisins. These three ingredients give incredible flavor to this side dish. It’s versatile, too, pairing nicely with meat and fish dishes.
Italian Sweet and Sour Onions
- 1 pound onions small, cipollini or pearl onions, peeled and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, cook the onions until they color.
- Add the white wine and the brandy then let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the raisins, salt and pepper.
- Over low heat, let the onions simmer partially covered for 30 - 45 minutes or until the onions are soft. Move them often so that they don't burn. To check if they are soft, you can prick the onions with a toothpick.
- Add the vinegar then let it evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- Keep on cooking the onions until all the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Serve cold or at room temperature as a side dish to meat or fish dishes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Here are more delicious side dishes to try with your meat or fish main course:
Sautèed Fennel, Asparagus and Goji Berries
Watermelon and Red Onion Salad
Fava Beans with Garlic and Lemon
We constantly update Skinny Ms. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
Visit our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.